Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Archery starts in two weeks here. The lease I belong to ( I hunt with a terrific bunch of guys ) had a work day today. Cleaned out the cook shack, cut firewood, put finishing touches on treestands and shooting lanes. Been reloading for my 6.5 and practiceing with my Great Plains Rifle for the later gun seasons. Food plots have been planted for several weeks and we hit them with fertilizer today. Next weekend, I will do odds and ends around the camp and some final scouting. Four wheeler should be back from the shop all tuned up. Our seasons run from late September to late January plus spring gobbler season in March/April down here in central Florida but I spend most of the year focused on hunting. Shoot lots of hogs year round and usually hold out for a decent buck (for Fl ) during gun season. Used to travel a lot to hunt but this lease is 15 minutes from the house. I am 57 years old and have been hunting for 49 of them but still get excited when opening day comes around. If I ever get to old to hunt, I'll just hang out at the camp and tell the kids stories.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think if one dosn't get get exited, they should check their pulse. I still get the same way.
This year will be a little differant though. I'm on the mend from a nasty shoulder surgery(shooting side of course) in early summer. Things are healing good, but no shooting till much later in the season. I'll probably miss the first half of upland, but if it works out, I'll be good to go for dec. deer with centerfire (no magnums please) and muzzleloader.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bucktales, sorry to hear about your surgery. In 2003, I was undergoing some intense therapy for a liver condition and it would leave me so weak that I had to have a buddy carry me into the woods on his four wheeler and set me on a stand. That's when I started using my 6.5 Swede for deer so I could handle the recoil. No way could I draw a bow that year but getting out there and taking a members kid along to do the shooting was great therapy. Hope you recover soon. I'll bust some dove for you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wynn, I'll bet you liked Green Swamp better in the old days before they put all the roads in, and the sissy bridges so you would'nt get your britches wet.
Do you remember the old long rickety wood bridge with just a narrow plank for each wheel? Fly low and keep your eyes on the other end!
Good luck hunting. Pappa

·
Platinum Bullet Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sure do remember Green Swamp in the old days. I went up there about the second or third weekend of the season the first year it opened. I mainly went up late in the morning to scout it out. I left the truck with a old Spanish double 12 gauge and had not walked 50 yds when I got up a nice buck. He piled into a thicket and I held that shotgun on the fence he had to cross about 30 yds to my right. I was all set. Instead of jumping the fence, he hit the ground and slid under the fence and never slowed down. I just stood there in disbelief, staring where he just had to leap that fence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts