Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
15,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing the saga of the restoration of the sorrowfully put upon North China T 30 carbine, which had suffered the indignity of a broken bolt handle, cut off fore arm, whittled edges on the stock, and loss of its sights and upper band. A sad case indeed.

I fail to have any understanding as to why anyone would remove the edges along the upper edge of the stock, especially in the horrid way they were done.

The repair was effected by milling a channel along the damaged edges, leaving as much original wood as possible, while removing the cut edges. My friend Steve did the milling in his machine shop. My Dad and I cut the the strips of oak for inlaying in the channels.
Brownell's Acraglass regular(the thin type) was used for the repair. Ends of the strips were beveled at the joints so they would make a harder to see joint.

Beau coup rubber bands and clamps were used to hold the strips in place while the epoxy set overnight.

The oversize strips were worked down by plane and then sanded to the correct level and shape. As much of the original finish as possible was preserved.

After finish sanding, the strips were stained and blended to the original color(or as close as I could get), then a finish coat of orange shellac applied. The too glossy finish was then broken with 0000 steel wool to match the original matte finish.

This part of the repair was actually easier than stretching the fore arm, though I didn't think it would be. Without a square edged channel for attaching the strips, it would not have been possible.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few more pictures of the process.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.