Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back there was a detailed discussion about the Steyr M95 carbines with "Nazi" markings (three eagles on the receiver and an eagle 623 burned into the stock). The thread went into pretty good detail about how the markings were likely fake and not applied by the Germans. The debate centered around the types of eagles used, the nature of the three proofs on the side of the receiver, etc. Did anyone save this thread? I only ask because one reputable dealer has one listed for $1,500 and there are a couple others floating around at very high prices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"fake"

What makes you think it is a fake. Someone would have had to spend a good bit ogf money to make 3 sepeate punches and getting them to look like they were struck a long time ago is a pretty good trick. What is your reference guide to support your theory. I'm not busting chops, I want to know what makes you sure. The WaA 623 is actually correct for Steyr.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There have been many, many detailed discussions about why these are fakes. There was a discussion recently over on the 98k board that I think you will find very interesting. The stamps are readily available on the open market and have been used to fake many items. The placement, style, and reason for application are all inconsistent with German practices for one-and that sends up a HUGE red flag. I would suggest searching the 98k board for some more information. Otherwise I'll try to find the thread and post the link here.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
We can see that the stamps were punched over the wood and metal finishes. The style, size, etc of the stamps are not like those found on other German weapons (seconding Prez). A quantity of M95 straight-pulls with these fake stamps showed up about 20 years ago when surplus gun imports were allowed again. Some had them on the stock, only. Some had other stamps such as a Totenkopf, etc.

A few years ago, the stamps showed up on eBay or some such, and now different articles are showing up with them besides the M95's.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
But were there ever any M95's with Nazi markings?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,691 Posts
What makes you think it is a fake...
All of these WaA stamped M.95's that I have examined bear the telltale signs of Bulgarian post-war refurbishment.

·
8,095 Posts
And most of these "humped up" M95 with the supposed Nazi markings came from our old friends at Paragon. Price was only a few dollars more than the ones without markings which were selling for about $35 at gun shows at the time. As Nick said, they came from Bulgaria where the markings were likely applied.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Real German markings are more commonly found on m95ms but even those are pretty scarce. They are normally marked in the same fashion as other German captured and reuissued rifles.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,262 Posts
Most Foreign rifles were marked in the wood only.Mauser rifles-Vz-24 and Polish models may have firing proof on barrel under handguard.The knotheads that faked the M-95's used the same stamping process that is seen on the Steyr K-98.I belive that most Waa marked M-95 's are still in 8X50.In the book "Desperate Measures" there is a section on the use of the M-95 rifle and carbine by the Volkssturm.I dont remember if any Waa marked M-95's are pictured in the book.The fakes are just stamped too much.Orginal marked Foreign rifles have a Waa that can be overlooked due to its small size

·
Registered
78 Posts
This one has been puzzling me for some time. It is a Budapest Carbine still in 8X50. There are no import marks anywhere on it. The stock has a Wa1 mark on it. It is smaller than the fakes I have seen. There are also several grind marks, more like depressions on the receiver. on top & down on the right hand side. (They are hard to see in the pictures). I did a close up of one on the RH side that was not completely obliterated. I think it may be an Austrian proof? The piece has been rebarreld with the Ungarische proof but no date or serial on the barrel. This came from a local bloke that said it was his Father's & wanted to get rid of it as ammo wasn't available. I gave him a $ 40 M44 for it. This was probably 10 years ago or so.

Any Ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts