268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italian Firearms Forum
Nazi Marked Carcano's?

Arisaka fan
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 : 11:18:36 PM Show Profile Email Poster Send Arisaka fan a Private Message
Besides the German HK conversions are there any other Nazi Marled carcano's if you have one please post picture

NebrHogger
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1943 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2006 : 09:45:14 AM Show Profile
After Mussolini had been strung up & the King surrendered, the Germans still in Italy considered that move a severe breach of etiquette and seized thousands of rifles from their former allies.

These were checked by an armorer before being carted off to Germany where many were issued to Volkssturm in the final days of the war. Sttached is a pic of the discrete armorer's stamp which will usually be found near the rear sling swivel on the bottom of the stock.

Some retailer was advertising Razi-marked Carcanos, but they were completely bogus. Generally speaking, be very leery of Nazi markings on these. Especially if the price is greatly inflated because of them! SW

If you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk!
Go to Top of Page

Lanceri Novara 5
Gunboards Premium Member

Italy
193 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 : 11:22:19 AM Show Profile Email Poster
Arisaka,
take a look at this link:

http://www.worldwar.it/armi/carcano_38_ts-s/default.asp

there is a fine and documented history and a firing test of Carcano 91 cal 8 ( .....in italian of course) the picture is fine and also if there is the problem of language it is realy a fine site. If you have a great interest in this field I can translate a summary for you one of these days.

My best regards
jacklancer
Go to Top of Page

Arditi

443 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 : 11:44:31 AM Show Profile Email Poster Visit Arditi's Homepage
Gents look at the photo on the site noted; look closer at that photo of the German soldier with the cavalry carbine. The reinforcement lug appears in the wrong place to me. I compared the 8mm cav and HK sr I have and the lugs are in a differing place than what the photo purports. It would be easy for a computer whiz to put a bright dot on a photo. A fake? Correct me if I am off base here. Arditi
Go to Top of Page

Lanceri Novara 5
Gunboards Premium Member

Italy
193 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 : 3:20:19 PM Show Profile Email Poster
About pics it come from Canada. Dept. of National Defence collection this is its reference:
5 May 1945 / Aurich, Germany
Donald I. Grant / Canada. Dept. of National Defence / Library and Archives Canada / PA-143950
REGARDSSSSSS
jacklancer
Go to Top of Page

Arditi

443 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 : 4:55:23 PM Show Profile Email Poster Visit Arditi's Homepage
I have not had the chance to look an HK 8mm cavalry conversion over. Are they reinforced in the same place as the pic? Arditi
Go to Top of Page

Arditi

443 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 : 9:36:19 PM Show Profile Email Poster Visit Arditi's Homepage
Upon further reflection and discussion with another collector that could not be an actual reinforcement lug through the stock in the German used cav carbine pic...it would interfere with the interior of the magazine function...would it not? Interesting pic nontheless, but not an 8mm conversion in my opinion. Arditi
Go to Top of Page

Lanceri Novara 5
Gunboards Premium Member

Italy
193 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 : 09:26:37 AM Show Profile Email Poster
I think the carbine cavarly 91 on the chest of guy armed with panzerfaust was a 91/38, not more, the caliber is not in my speculation. By the way I find another site talking about 91 carbine caliber 8x57 and a couple of pics.

http://www.glialpini.com/carcano_91-ts-s.html

Download Attachment:
54.7 KB

Download Attachment:
134.49 KB
My best regards
jacklancer
Go to Top of Page

Arisaka fan

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 : 10:39:13 AM Show Profile Email Poster
Thanks for the great sites the carcano on the germans neck looks to be a standard 6.5 carcano I think that is the bolt not cross bolt
Go to Top of Page

DMala
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
570 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 : 12:45:37 PM Show Profile Email Poster
It seems an example of "internet avalanche", where somebody originally published some wrong information that is now rolling around and getting bigger and bigger........
DMala

"Spero che la mia brigata viva per sempre nei nostri cuori, e che vaga in mona chi l'ha sciolta" (from the brigatacadore.it website).
Go to Top of Page

DMala

USA
570 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 : 12:49:01 PM Show Profile Email Poster
By the way, to expand a little on the original question,in post-WWII Germany 6.5mm Carcanos were issued and stamped as such to the Bavaria Rural Police :
http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cruffler/Pages/bavarian_police_carcano.htm
DMala

"Spero che la mia brigata viva per sempre nei nostri cuori, e che vaga in mona chi l'ha sciolta" (from the brigatacadore.it website).
Go to Top of Page

WaPrüf2

USA
935 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 : 7:41:35 PM Show Profile Email Poster
IMO the "reinforcing bolt" on the carbine in the photo is reflection off the bolt knob, not a reinforcing bolt. I rejoice in 1 each M41, M38, and M38 carbine Krieghoff conversions; the German-style recoil bolt is in the same place on all 3. As stated elsewhere, 1 bolt = Krieghoff; 2 bolts = the (presumed) postwar jobs, in any case not Krieghoffs.
Edited by - WaPrüf2 on 04/10/2006 7:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Arditi

443 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2006 : 9:14:47 PM Show Profile Email Poster Visit Arditi's Homepage
You gents are right...it is a bolt knob. I look at the inference from the blurb under the photo that it is a 8mm rifle and then take a leap that it is based on the fuzzy/rough placement of the "reinforcing bolt"...bolt knob...arrggggh! It can be fun being human...on occasion. Thanks for the clarification. Have a good evening gents, Arditi
Go to Top of Page
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Forum Locked
Send Topic to a Friend
Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Gunboards © 2000-2006 Gunboards Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

1 - 1 of 1 Posts