Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the forum. I recently acquired a Nazi Krag with serial NA1943 713, with waffenampts. It came to me with a sporterized stock and with the bayonet lug milled. I was wondering if I can find more info for it and hopefully restore it to its former glory. Any help or info is appreciated! Thanks
Hand Finger Gun accessory Tints and shades Metal

Hand Finger Thumb Nail Tints and shades

Automotive tire Finger Cylinder Material property Tints and shades

Grille Wood Flooring Floor Beige

Brown Outerwear Wood Sleeve Beige

Sleeve Wood Collar Material property Beige

Outerwear Shirt Sleeve Collar Dress shirt

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Reed instrument Gun barrel

·
Registered
41 Posts
That'll be tough to return to it's original configuration as the barrel has been shortened. The original front sight and bayonet lug were machined on a sleeve that was then soldered onto the muzzle. If you can find an unmolested sleeve then you might be able to make it look a bit more like it was but you'll always have that step between the barrel and the sleeve. Check here for a bit of info about these models: Rifle - M/1894/43 Krag - Bolt

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello all, I am new to the forum. I recently acquired a Nazi Krag with serial NA1943 713, with waffenampts. It came to me with a sporterized stock and with the bayonet lug milled. I was wondering if I can find more info for it and hopefully restore it to its former glory. Any help or info is appreciated! Thanks View attachment 4008811
View attachment 4008813
View attachment 4008812
View attachment 4008810
View attachment 4008809
View attachment 4008808
View attachment 4008806
View attachment 4008807
I could tell you were Canadian just by this sporter! I've also seen this rifle before. Unfortunately in my experience, it seems that a lot of German production krags were sporterized by Canadian sports shooting companies when they were imported in the 1950s-1970s. Most likely this was done by Globco/Globe Firearms. Originally Norway had exported a shit ton of krags to sporting companies in the states and Canada, and I know globco originally sold them in regular condition, but quickly began to make them "uniform" to carbine length by cutting down rifle barrels and welding back on the front sight to the front of the barrels. This would have originally been a long rifle produced during the German occupation, rather than a "true" stomperud, if you want to get technical about it. I have quite a few regular rifles that are like this, and some sportered carbines that didn't have their barrels messed with since they were the right size already. You could, with a bit of work, be able to remove that front sight/bayonet lug and fit on a new sleeve from ebay or something, and turn it into a short-rifle configuration like the German stomperuds were. I've attached an old worthpoint listing of a guy who sells Norwegian krag parts, it just shows what the part is that I'm talking about:

If we are only counting modified rifles that are also german production ones, the ones I've seen in Canada with the same style of modification are these serials:
NA-1943-538
NA-1943-556
NA-1943-713
NA-1943-932
NA-1943-984
Nb-1944-043
Nb-1944-899
Nb-1944-914

At least these conversions were done before Globco started doing their 308 and 243 winchester conversions! With those, they took off the original barrels and fitted them with new ones, chambered for a new cartridge. It sounds like a horrible idea but they work, and sold very well. I'd love to get my hands on one 308 conversion krag sometime, I've only been able to fire other peoples.

Here's an Ad I scanned of one of the later barrel-replacing conversions.

Trigger Air gun Font Tool Line

·
Registered
456 Posts
I scored a couple of those .243 barrels off ebay some years back. I sold one to pay for both. The remaining one is in a 1916 action waiting for me to work on a sporter stock. I also have NC 1034 Stompuerud and a long stock to cut down. I hate doing that, but. A guy gave me the Stomperud action. His dad paid $10 for it back in the 60s! He gave me ammo, reloading dies and a sporter stock also! The receiver of the Stomperud was originally 1897 Steyr. Civilian rifles in Norway, I've read, no such thing under the Nazis. The barrel looks like new! I've noted that the bolt handle bears on the receiver and leaves the front locking lug with little contact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice. i think the wood parts will be hard to find. post some pictures when you get it done please.
I could tell you were Canadian just by this sporter! I've also seen this rifle before. Unfortunately in my experience, it seems that a lot of German production krags were sporterized by Canadian sports shooting companies when they were imported in the 1950s-1970s. Most likely this was done by Globco/Globe Firearms. Originally Norway had exported a shit ton of krags to sporting companies in the states and Canada, and I know globco originally sold them in regular condition, but quickly began to make them "uniform" to carbine length by cutting down rifle barrels and welding back on the front sight to the front of the barrels. This would have originally been a long rifle produced during the German occupation, rather than a "true" stomperud, if you want to get technical about it. I have quite a few regular rifles that are like this, and some sportered carbines that didn't have their barrels messed with since they were the right size already. You could, with a bit of work, be able to remove that front sight/bayonet lug and fit on a new sleeve from ebay or something, and turn it into a short-rifle configuration like the German stomperuds were. I've attached an old worthpoint listing of a guy who sells Norwegian krag parts, it just shows what the part is that I'm talking about:

If we are only counting modified rifles that are also german production ones, the ones I've seen in Canada with the same style of modification are these serials:
NA-1943-538
NA-1943-556
NA-1943-713
NA-1943-932
NA-1943-984
Nb-1944-043
Nb-1944-899
Nb-1944-914

At least these conversions were done before Globco started doing their 308 and 243 winchester conversions! With those, they took off the original barrels and fitted them with new ones, chambered for a new cartridge. It sounds like a horrible idea but they work, and sold very well. I'd love to get my hands on one 308 conversion krag sometime, I've only been able to fire other peoples.

Here's an Ad I scanned of one of the later barrel-replacing conversions.

View attachment 4009123
Thanks for this information, so do I just need to get the barrel sleeve for the front sight, barrel bands and stocks to hopefully turn this back into a rifle that resembles a stormperud krag? I was really looking forward to hopefully restore this to the best of my abilities and any additional information would help immensly. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
The barrel is going to be the biggest hurdle to deal with. From bolt face to muzzle it was originally 24". How long is the barrel now? If it was cut to the common 20" length then the missing four inches are going to be hard to replace. There are ways of doing it if you know a good gunsmith and have the money. If the barrel is 22" or there abouts then you might be able to get a sleeve and just live with the step between the barrel and the sleeve. Start searching for parts and pieces now. Also, study up on these rifles on the web site I posted. There are lots of pictures and information there so go through the site and come up with a game plan on how you want to tackle the restoration.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for this information, so do I just need to get the barrel sleeve for the front sight, barrel bands and stocks to hopefully turn this back into a rifle that resembles a stormperud krag? I was really looking forward to hopefully restore this to the best of my abilities and any additional information would help immensly. Thanks
At one time you could probably easily find a take off barrel, in Norway. With new import/export restrictions, I don't know. The full length stock, metal, and handguard I found came from Holland, I believe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A Stomperud is 24" and I notice the sleeve and lug are much longer on it. Well if you can't go the one way, back to military, go the other and make it a nicer sporter.
Even so, a stomperud configuration with a ever-so-slightly short barrel would still look better than the chopped bayonet lug it currently has. One could also contact the folks at Kongsberg Våpenhstoriske Forening and see if they have any spare sleeves left over. I believe they still sell leftover parts for Norwegian krags.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts