Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to buy a Nazi banner taken from Italy from the Daughter-in-Law of the soldier who brought it back. It is in OK condition with 1 or 2 moth holes, but has the original cord hangers (apparently taken off of the barracks that are located "near" the leaning tower of Pisa and now used by the US) and has been in the attic and garage for the last 60ish years.

The bad thing about the banner is that there is a ~8 inch wide tear running about 2-2.5 feet all the way to, and including, the edge. It really dosen't bother me but I would either like to repair it or to hang it someway that will not stress the tear. This is a 3x5 (or is it 6?) banner. Will a well done repair cause the flag to loose value? how would you hang it (other than away from direct sunlight)?

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Given its history I would also consider putting it in a frame and matting on acid free background as is and stabilizing the entire flag without alteration. This would allow it to remain as found while still being able to display it without stresss or risk to the survival of the item. We have some folks here with museum experience who might also provide some guidance. Much like a physician your first consideration should be to do no harm.

Scott

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I bought the banner from the daughter-in-law of the guy who brought it back to the states. He was in the "97th Bombardment Group and got the banner from Camp Livorno, Italy" (I'm guessing this would be the airfield at San Giusto). Any place on the net I could look up more info on the vet (an NCO from Massachusetts)?
Here are a couple of pics of the banner.

And the obligatory shot with a K98.

It has the big tear that goes halfway across the top and a large-ish tear near the left bottom. There are a few worn spots/moth holes, and the rope on the one side seems to have been replaced. Some of what looks like bird droppings on the one side. I can hope that they are from Italian birds. :)

·
1,172 Posts
Well,

Nice piece to have and its a standard party flag. Not sure I would go crazy framing it but would not repair it either. Run it up the pole and see what the neighbors think. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apparently Photobucket does not like the photos of the flag.... they seem to have deleted one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.