Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this Naval Special for close to an year now, and been always wondering about the unusual front barrel band and it's "lug-less", "rod hole less" feature, strange blackish finish and an overall strange aura. I had Frank's help in inspecting some of the photos but we were both scratching our heads on the strange front barrel band and all. It surely looks like it was built this way and not a file-down nor an "after-market" replacement. Thought I'd share it to y'all here and would be cool if anybody have seen anything like this out there.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,008 Posts
Probably something Doss or Roy made up. Just kiddin. Interesting rifle!

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Naval special rifle that I have has a bayonet lug that is serialized to the rifle. It looks like it was drilled for a cleaning rod and a plug was put in the hole. It looks like a piece of broken cleaning rod and the wood was never drilled out for the rod.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Velly interesting. Mabye the kings of NS will weigh in.

Band almost ceraintly is original, had to go on before the front sight.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Never have seen one like this before. Most likely a factory expedient front band. Doesn't look to be a field replacement.

C/

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,176 Posts
Edokko, I've seen the lack of hole for cleaning rod, but have not seen the lack of bayonet lug. I've always said no 2 T99 Specials are alike, and I aint too wrong on that statement.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Off of the top of my head, we have had two or three reported without the bayonet lug since the publication of the booklet.

I also recently had one reported with a new style front band with two-screws that looks like an early T-99 band but swept up at the rear so that a full-length handguard was not used.

The Type 38 Arisaka book is now complete and undergoing final editing and then off to the printer. More on that later. Anyway, that will free up my time to do a revision of the NST99 booklet. If anyone has a NST99 not previously reported on a data sheet please contact me and I will include the rifle's details in the revised data base.

Enjoy.

Frank

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankee for all the feedback, one of those weird pieces that make all this collecting bug all the more fun.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Takehito, cool rifle! I think they were saki/squid induced when your rifle was made. They painted the stock black instead of the metal! See you at the MAX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts