Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not sure if I am going to attend or not. Anybody bringing anything interesting?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Not me, I'm honoring the Ted-cott! :eek::cool::rolleyes:

SlimTim

·
Gold+ Bullet member
339 Posts
First NATC show I will have missed in a while. Taking Friday off and checking out antique shops and flea markets around Clayton, then spending weekend in Blairsville. I've been suffering from gun show withdrawal a bit, but not really on a specific quest right now.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I won;t be going either. Sold my little bit of ammo today and am doing some rifle and ammo trading with a board member tomorrow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry guys, I broke lines and ended my self-imposed Ted-Cott (trust me, it was for a good reason). But as I was handing Eastman my $8 (ya, when did that happen? last time I went it was still $7? at least kids under 12 are still free.), I had to look over my shoulder to make sure Ted wasn't watching ;).

But I am glad I went. Met Theodore "Dutch" J. Van Kirk, navigator on the Enola Gay, the B-29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Shook his hand and thanked him for his service.

Didn't stay long, got what I needed and left.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
marktaylor, same here. It's always nice to put faces with names. Hope you enjoy the SVT. The Garand is a nice one. Glad we could work out a deal.

Going to Barrow Automotive is always love/hate for me. There is always something that I want.
Good place to meet, though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jeff,
Yeah Borrow was nice. I am kind of glad I was broke because I would have bought something. I hate going away from a store empty handed, even though I had a new SVT and 1000 rds of 8MM :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had other business over that way this morning, and decided to go as well. Should have stayed home. As was said above, $8, and frankly, the show was not good for anyone looking for military surplus. Ammo prices have gone way up, $60-80 for Hungarian LB, 300 rds. Other ammo prices about the same or worse. One guy had a few boxes of 7.5 French for $1/rd. He was marking up the prices on boxes of POF .303 while I was standing there. There were a few Mosins, but no deals. One guy had a nice 28 or 28/30, can't remember off hand, and an M39. Prices too high for me. $425 and $275 IIRC. Coyote Frank had an M28 he was asking $75 or best offer. Typical Frank material. Stock cut off at the rear band, mismatched bent bolt polished to glow. I need another project like I need a social disease, so I passed. There was an SVT sniper for only ~$4000, original, I'm sure. One guy was walking around with a 1941 Tula SVT, $900 or trade for a Winchester Garand. There was another SVT on a table for $1200. One dealer had M44s he was pulling out of a crate for $90. I asked him if I could look through the crate, and he pretty much ignored me, so I left. Another guy was having a "Divorce" sale. He had a baggie with what he thought was 380 rds of .30 carbine. We talked for awhile, and someone had told him the ammo was worth $.60/rd or more. I walked around to see what the going rate was for commercial, and it seemed to be about $.25-.28/ rd. I was going to offer him $.20 but he had other business when I went back and I got sick of waiting. The ammo was about 60% LC 52 and the rest was Korean. Other highlights included a M38 for only $265, beater Turks for $150-200. A scrubbed but VG '91 Argie for $895. Frank also had "collector" quality 91/30s "still in the wrap" according to Frank. Never knew the Ruskies used "bubble" wrap, but for Frank these were real gems. Sling, bayo, ammo pouch, the usual. And all for only $169. One walk in had a Lithgow, but it looked like someone had started to refinish it, and stripped the finish from one side of the rifle, then left it in his work room while he painted the walls. It was spattered with small white paint spots, and with that and one side of the finish missing, he only wanted $275.

There was one walk in that might have been a good deal. He had what he said was an unfired Chinese SKS, and it looked like. The kicker was it came with 18 boxes of ammo for $275. For what ammo is going for these days, I figure it was a $100 SKS. Wish I needed one...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I tried to Ted, but I think he is either totally deaf now or senile. He was taking the money, and a few people asked him about the new price. He just sat there with a stupid grin and ignored everyone.

·
Registered
504 Posts
well spring I always appreciate your detailed show reports, however far away or grim they may be. And Ted the day you stop being pissed off at somebody for something will be a sad day indeed.
Any yeah somehow somewhere for somebody that was a good SKS deal, as much as I hate to say it...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts