Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Here's my report!

I went to the show Friday and got there about 4:30. The was a much bigger crowd than I expected. I hit the estate sales tables first and talked with Tennessee Longhunter. I was also pleased to see that Ed (the dealer handling the estate sale) knew my name, but then I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering how much money I've given him over the last three months!

I picked up a M1895 Dutch Mannlicher long rifle in beautiful condition for $175 and a Serbian Model 24 Mauser with a really nice crest for $240. Both have mismatched bolts, but were in great shape otherwise. The Serb has the wrong type handguard, but getting a replacement shouldn't be a problem with all the M24/47's being imported right now.

I spent some time checking out the rest of the show -- definitely better than the Goodman shows. I'd compare it to the Bob Pope shows -- lots of the same dealers, and a few I hadn't seen before. I didn't find anything at the other tables, but it was worth looking.

After making the whole circuit I went back to the estate tables and talked with Tennessee Longhunter some more. I looked over everything again. Bad mistake! I ended up taking home a really nice Nambu Type 14 (dated 5/1937) for $350.

So I left quite a bit poorer but picked up several unusual finds for what I feel like are reasonable prices -- a good show! I'll post some pictures when I get the time.

· Registered
102 Posts
SlimTim,

Thanks!

Technically, it is a Yugoslavian Model 24 since the Kingdom of Yugoslavia was formed in 1918, but most people seem to refer to the pre-war rifles as "Serbian" whereas post-war manufacture or refurbs are called "Yugos."

Of course rifles with the royal crest are the ones to look for. All the 24/47's available now had the royal crest at one time, but when the communists refurbed them in the forties they replaced the royal crests with commie crests. I've heard that the only Model 24's left in the world are ones that somehow made it out of Yugoslavia before the end of WWII.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.