Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a post a few weeks ago about a show under a new promoter in Smyrna. I was out of town working and just glanced at it. Well I'm back and may try to go. Anyone remember where and do I have the right weekend?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're close on the location and date. I think that you are talking about the show in La Vergne (just up the I-24 from Smyrna) on 28th, 29th, and 30th of this month (near the bottom of the following link):

http://www.rkshows.com/south/tennessee.htm

I plan on going that Saturday morning. It is across the Interstate from where I live. IIRC, the group that have been selling the military surplus near your part of town will also be down there. BTW, thanks for posting those. While I haven't picked up any fire-arms, it has given me a chance to fill some other holes in my collection.

James

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link and the information. Hate to show up at the wrong date. If the dealer selling off the large collection will be there then I will make sure that I'm there also. Still pulling new stuff out that I haven't seen. I missed their last sale while working out of state.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can understand your fear of showing up at the wrong time/place. That happened to a friend of mine last year. We had planned to go to the Fall TMCA meet. Before heading to the show, we were to meet at a Cracker Barrel. The weekend before the show, I get a call from my friend. “What are you doing in bed?", He asked. "You are supposed to be here eating breakfast.” Fortunately, it was him and not me who had the weekends mixed up.

James

·
Registered
99 Posts
I called the estate sale dealer last week, and he said they would have everything set up at the Lavergne show. I'm hoping they'll still have a couple of rifles I passed over at the last sale. Plus, there's likely to be some new stuff too!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hepcatfox,

Glad to see you back on the boards. How did you do a the last estate sale? I talked to Ed also and he is planning on having 30 tables at the show. That's 30 tables of milsups! He is hoping to sell as many as possible of the cheaper guns. He is saving many of the Civil War era guns for the December Civil War Show and some of the higher end milsups for the Collectors show in November. As I missed the last show I'm chomping at the bit to see what is offered. I will be there Friday afternoon and hope to see you there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry I haven't posted before now. I was in Las Vegas most of last week, and I'm just catching up. (Got to shoot a Thompson and an MP40 while I was in Vegas, but that's another story!)

I posted a long message after the last Sale on the "old/new" boards, but I posted it on the morning that those boards "went away," and it didn't get carried over to the "new/new" boards.

The last sale had several rifles left over from the sale before, but also lots of new ones. Several M1917 Enfields, a few Mausers I hadn't seen before, some Carcanos, and various types of Mannlichers.

I ended up buying the M1903 Springfield I was looking at during the previous sale. (It was still there so "God wanted me to have it!") The serial number is in the low, 910,000's so it's safe to shoot, but it also is of WWI vintage. The barrel is dated 11-18. It's obviously an arsenal rebuild and the stock has a few dings, but overall it's a great shooter. I paid $450 and am pretty happy.

I also bought a M1917 Enfield for $400. Going by the serial number, the receiver is from 12/17 and the barrel is dated 8-18. It's an early post-WWI rebuild with the very dark (almost pitch black) parkerization, and what's even better is it's a Winchester! It's in beautiful shape with all the cartouches still visible on the stock, and even though it's a rebuild almost all the parts (including the stock) are "W" marked. I broke it down yesterday and only found 5 small parts total that are "E" or "R" marked.

I'll be at the show this Friday when the doors open. Looking forward finding even more!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Cat, look for me there also. I can't be there on Saturday due to a parents day at my daughters collage. But, I hope to spend all my extra money and then some by close of business Friday night. I remember the 1917 you got. Had looked over that one myself. I'm also looking for a "messed with" 1903. I want one that has had all collector value removed and just a shooter for a little project. I did talk to Ed the other night and they were still pulling guns out to price for the show.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This estate sale you're talking about, is that the one in Goodlettsville? Somebody mentioned it on the old board, but the thread disappeared when the board moved.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One and the same. He has been having 1-2 sales a month at a rented building in Goodlettesville for the past few months. Plan is to have almost everything at this show then one more stand-alone sale, the Military Collectors show and the Civil War Show. Everything left will be at the December Pope Show and I'm hopeing marked down. Prices have been very fair with a few real bargians. There is just too much from too many countries and wars to be able to know all of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts