Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up from the widow of a collector of Japanese pistols and in the group was a Nambu with what looks like unit markings. The pistol is Tokyo 7.1 serial 22XXX. ON the left side the frame is marked "BU6099"..I showed it to several knowledable collectors at the Reno show and all said they have never seen one . Diffently done back in 1932 and I paid a whopping $300.00 for it so no doubt to its validity. Anyone have a guess to what BU6099 might designate? Later from wet Chico,

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Posting a photo would help. IMHO it may be a serial number from a museum or such.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read the BU could also mean "Organization"..so now we have Origanization 6099. Maybe some of our Japanese collectors will have some reference book to this unit or property number. Has any of you Nambu collectors ever heard of a unit/property marked Nambu? Will get some photos up next week...Showed it to one of the largest Nambu collector (RH) at Reno and he said the unit markings were origin and done back in the 30's...He had never seen another...Comments appreciated..

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
hemiman,
If the guy had never seen another, how could he be sure that the markings were original and done in the 30s?

I've never seen or heard tell of a unit or other wise Japanese marked Nambu, on or in the metal that is.

Papas are frequently found with markings or rack numbers painted on the grip panels.

Where did you read about the meaning of BU?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The article can be found http://wikibin.org/asrticles/unit-831.html... On page two of the ten pages it talks about Tokuma Bu (Special Organization) and Renkraku Bu (Liason Organization). I am assuming the the Bu portion used and referenced means Organization. Tokuma meaning Special and Renkraku meaning Liason. Maybe someone more versed than myself can help. The man that I showed the Nambu just commented that the Unit/Weapon/BU6099 markings (in his opionion) looked like they were not added recently and to him, were original to the pistol. I too agree Photos will be helpful and will get some into the forum next week.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Link doesn't work anymore.

I'm sure Edokko will help when he sees this.

If Japanese marked, I would expect the character for 'Bu', not the english phonetic translation, JMHO.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is stamped BU6099 ...Interesting comments that it is written in English rather than Japanese characters..Good discusssion...I will have my daughter take photos and get them to the forum...Should I use white "stick" to help highlight the photos? Later from damp Chico, Hemi

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe BU is a weapon or property number... Just curious to know if any of the Nambu collectors have any Nambus with any numbers (English or Japanese ) stamped into the left side of the frame? 1932 dated so maybe saw action in Manchuria? Photos coming via 03man...

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
I have to say that it is "most likely" doubtful that this set of numbers were Japanese markings. I have seen quite a few post-arsenal Japanese marked pistols but they have been all number sets preceded by a single Kanji, and have never seen Alphabet sets such as this. One thing I am pretty certain of is that the markings "BU" does not represent the Kanji 部 or 部隊 as in the meaning of a military unit.
I will attach some examples of the Japanese marked pieces for your comparison.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
I would agree with Edokko, probably not Japanese; IMO the markings were not applied when made, just too different in shape alignment and quality.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I wonder if it was post war Japanese police marked? They were allowed to retain them for law enforcement but they were heavily regulated,i.e. turned in after the shifts. My dad did a stint as USA MPs in Yokahoma from '46-'47 and told me this.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments...This pistol I have found out was very short lived variant and has the very small landyard loop . It was one of the first 100 in 1932 that incorporated some recall changes . Thanks Dan for the info...Good discussion...IN 1932, the Japanese went into Manchuria...maybe this saw action there and the BUXXXX might be associated with some sort of capture or weapon number from China.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.