Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Nambu Type 14 Pistol Yesterday and am seeking information on the Gun and a translation of the Japanese characters inside the holster Flap. Thanks for any help with this !

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, You Guys, for the input on this.
I shall try and get more pictures shortly ( Time Time Time Busy Busy Busy )

Would be Great to hear from Takehito on the translation.

Posted here are 3 quotes from the other Board(FalFiles) regarding the translation (persons) name...
'm working on it. I took Japanese in college 20 years ago.

Written Japanese is sometimes difficult to piece together.

The first character is "mountain".
The second character is "rice field".

So that would read as "mountain rice field" right? No. "Mountain rice field" is written differently.

The first two characters are put together to form "Yamada", a family name.

The next character I can find no exact match, but is similar to "manor", as in a country home. I've looked in three dictionaries and two good online ones. No exact match. I think someone was in a hurry when they wrote it and deviated a bit from the norm. Makes it hard to figure out if it's not exact.

The last character is used for the words: "even, flat, or peace". Depending on if the downstroke flicks to the left at the bottom, it could mean "question mark".

So, does it translate to "Yamada peaceful country house"? Sounds like an odd thing to put on a holster.

If you don't mind, I'll post a cropped and rotated picture of the label on a forum for Japanese translation and see if they can figure out the last two characters.
Yamada Shohei,It is a guy's name. Sounds like something from 60 to 90 years ago. About as common as "John Anderson" here. I would guess was the guy the pistol was issued to.
Nice Nambu Type 14. I like it. The small trigger guard, straw-color trigger and nice finish all point to this being an earlier model. The date marking is 2,9 and that means Showa 2, 9th month. September 1927.

The kanji characters are a name, possibly the user of this firearm. The name reads - Yamada Shohei

Yamada is the family name. Shohei is the first name.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.