Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hit an estate sale and picked up a package deal on some pistols. Two P08s, two P38s.... and one Nambu. Pricing was VERY reasonable, so even though I admittedly know nothing about the Nambu, I took a chance.

It seems to be in good condition and came with a nice leather clamshell holster.... even had a little cleaning rod hidden inside it.

I enjoy reloading projects ... so this may be fun to play with using .357 sig brass to start.

Any info from knowledgeable folks who would share would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Looks like a nice one with cleaning rod and holster! How much did you score it for???
Sounds like a hell of estate sale with the toys you brought home. I go to them and they have rusted hammers and old Christmas decor from 1998. Never had the joy having a Type 14 "follow me home"!!!! Lucky you are!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a nice one with cleaning rod and holster! How much did you score it for???
Sounds like a hell of estate sale with the toys you brought home. I go to them and they have rusted hammers and old Christmas decor from 1998. Never had the joy having a Type 14 "follow me home"!!!! Lucky you are!
I think he was asking $700, but I negotiated a package that ended up averaging out to $520 per pistol. Couldn’t be happier. 3 of the 4 Germans came with holsters also... quite the find. Not my typical estate sale find either

·
Registered
452 Posts
You did oh so well. Agree, when I go to an estate sales it's old junk, coats etc. I'm lucky if I find a book.

I'm no expert, in fact I don't even own one yet. But I can tell you that it's made in January 1940 and has the later enlarged trigger guard. I have read the trigger guard was enlarged to better fire with gloves on after experiences in the cold in Manchuria, but hopefully I'm not misinformed.

The cleaning rod and holster are a great score. If the mag matches I suspect you may have sold your soul to the devil at that price :)

Great find!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great find! January of 1940 (15.1) is also the first full month for the magazine retention spring on the front grip and the 17 groove grips. The larger trigger guard showed up in September 1939 (14.9). For those who collect Nambus with a focus on design changes, like me, the 15.1 is an important element of the collection. If the magazine matches the serial number you do have a real score. Cool pistol regardless! Nice job.

·
Diamond Member
1,056 Posts
Great find! January of 1940 (15.1) is also the first full month for the magazine retention spring on the front grip and the 17 groove grips. The larger trigger guard showed up in September 1939 (14.9). For those who collect Nambus with a focus on design changes, like me, the 15.1 is an important element of the collection. If the magazine matches the serial number you do have a real score. Cool pistol regardless! Nice job.
Nice score! Expanding on Ironlip's comments, this is a very early example of the final outward appearance configuration of pistols manufactured at Kokubunji (two changes in 14.12: 25 to 17 groove grips and magazine grip spring addition). Your example is not far from the low reported 14.12 #72507 having the final change of adding the magazine grip spring which also resulted in changing the magazines from the Type V to Type VI. The two major changes (grip grooves and spring addition) occurred in the last few hundred pistols produced in 14.12. The two changes are bracketed in the attached three-pistol image. Again, congrats on a great price for a nice change example.
Photograph White Mammal Wood Line

·
Registered
452 Posts
Nice score! Expanding on Ironlip's comments, this is a very early example of the final outward appearance configuration of pistols manufactured at Kokubunji (25 to 17 groove grips and magazine grip spring addition). Your example is not far from the low reported 14.12 #72507 having the final change of adding the magazine grip spring and changing magazines from the Type V to Type VI. The two major changes occurred in the last few hundred pistols produced in 14.12. The two changes are bracketed in the attached three-pistol image. Again, congrats on a great price for a nice change example. View attachment 3820865
Wow, those are some nice looking pistols.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought for a moment that the magazine matched the last three digits 573... but when I took a pic I can see it’s actually 373. My eyes are going a little more each day I guess

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.