Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the process of cleaning and cataloging my bayonets and I had a question about this Nagoya Type 30 and Rays book. I hardly feel qualified discussing series marks but here goes. :confused:

1. Is my Nagoya (bright) a 41st series LB-119?
2. If so has this serial block been reported or observed for this arsenal?
3. When one sees reference to the series marks in Rays book are these series that he observed or are they series sometimes assumed to have been assigned to the particular type of bayonet?

I don’t know if my questions just reveal my ignorance about the series assignments or my misunderstanding of how they are classified in Rays book. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed. Thanks, Zach

View attachment 144229 View attachment 144232

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hello Zack :

All of us collectors are rewritting the book based on observed examples, when the war ended much of the Arsenal system records were lost for various reasons that have been discussed before.
So reconstruction from known bayonets is a starting point, in your case now we know that the 41st series was produced by Nagoya, when a second such bayonet is reported now we have a low and high, and so on. Next logical goal is to see if a 42nd series bayonet shows up.
It was in this fashion that Military Rifles and Pistol books have been put together by the various authors, same goes for the bayonets, knee mortars, flare pistols, sniper rifles and scopes.
Thank you so much for sharing your observations and questions.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
92 Posts
What Vic said is so right, there is no ignorance in asking questions, by your interest in this field you are a fellow collector.

The Nagoya Arsenal was assigned the entire 40th series block with the 50th block going to another arsenal.

Also your bayonet is actually a new reported high in the 41st series at least in my logs. So I have learned something from your posting.

Thank you

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hello Zach :

Welcome to the wonderful world of Japanese Militaria collecting, we wouldn't be where we are today, without the generous selfless input from its members. We are the envy of the Mauser boards who are decades behind us in the level of production knowledge we have accumulated, their knowledge of the K-98 is at our 1976 level when Military Rifles of Japan was first published.
As you all know U.S. and German collecting have been ruined by the level of fakes and reproductions in those fields, higher prices. Add to that the huge influx of surplus guns from Europe and the Far East, the new era of internet interest and sales.
We too have had some of that with the stuff from China in the late '80s, but where we are fortunate is that our field has had less messing with by the fakes, you still find original items, prices have remained reasonable although the days of $ 12.50 rifles are now history.
There is room for new members, their input is desired, we are all learning and not in-fighting and insulting others. Thank you Zack and the same to all of you out there.
Vicasoto

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.