Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this beech wood? The grain is very pronounced. Thanks

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
I don't think so. More like Japanese walnut.......I think. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John, yes all matching except firing pin and safety which I have been looking for those parts with the number 311. According to my new Mr. Voigt's book the Series 6 switched over to the cylindrical bolt knob at around number 50,000. As for the rear sight it is correct also. At around 37,000 they switched over to this type site- no provision for the wings. By far I am a rookie in collecting the Type 99's. I was encouraged to by Mr. Voigt's book and I did.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I don't pretend to know what type of wood it is, but I'd lean in the beech direction. Doesn't look like walnut at all.

Notice the handguard and lower butt is the earlier type of wood. You'll often see that on transition Nagoya rifles. Jon

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
Could be beech. My brother in law is quite an accomplished wood worker and has all kinds of walnut stored in his garage. Beech just doesn't seem to have that bold of a pattern in the grain. But.........I could be wrong. I have a lot of mosin nagants with arctic beech stocks and none of them look like that. On the other hand my mausers and 03A3's and mauser walnut stocks do look like that.

I don't pretend to know what type of wood it is, but I'd lean in the beech direction. Doesn't look like walnut at all.

Notice the handguard and lower butt is the earlier type of wood. You'll often see that on transition Nagoya rifles. Jon

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Here's a reply to my questions re: wood species...

Hello Bob :
The above is typical 5th series wood with a darker finish than the earlier more blond wood finish.
As far as 99 wood used is concerned, four varieties have been identified:
a) (Junglandaceae ), Walnut.
b) (Fagus ), Beech sp.
c) (Dipterocarpacea ), Phillipine & Lovan Mahogany family.
d) ( Leguminosae ), Acacia sp. (12.91).
The above are low grade hard or soft woods. The above info comes from pg. 70 of a thesis on Retrograde 99 production by Douglas A. Sasse.

Vicasoto

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just did some searching. As far as (Dipterocarpacea ), Phillipine & Lovan Mahogany family, The color is close but the grain pattern is different. As far as (Dipterocarpacea ), Phillipine & Lovan Mahogany family, Could not find any pic's of wood grain. Search goes on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.