·
Platinum Bullet member
19,191 Posts
I tried 😂

Reactions: pcke2000

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,191 Posts
I did pick up a super rare 7mm Baby Nambu dummy round as a consolation. In over 50 years of collecting this stuff I’ve never seen one of these cartridges before

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
All I have to say is. I hope the owner likes it because he's going to have it for a long time at that price. I for one don't believe it to be an experimental rifle. My thoughts are. Its a rifle made on the line and then used as a tool.Bbasically a gage to make sure all the assembly line is up to operating spec. That's why it as never serialized because it was never to be issued as an actual firearm.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Big Ed - IMHO, your analysis is spot on. Further, if it had been a true "experimental rifle", it wouldn't have had either a mum or type characters, both of which are indicators of official adoption..

On a related note, I once had the chance to buy a Type 44 that was almost identical with respect to markings as that Type 38. It had a Nagoya Army Arsenal mark, but no serial number. The condition was perfect, and had both a mum and type kanji. I'd bet the Japanese arsenal system utilized many such examples, either as training tools or assembly line reference examples.

C/

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Don,
Late series 27 and series 28. So you can pretty much date it to late production of Nagoya T38 rifles.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
On a side note. There was a similar rifle on GB a while back it was a Kokura 99 set up in the 20th series configuration with the reversed middle band. It too was not numbered but mummed and 99 marked. The only marking was a 2 on the barrel shank. I think a board member bought it. Perhaps if the did they can start another thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts