Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should go to jail for what I pay for somethings.

Just popped into my local gun supplier's place after physical therapy today. Amazing stuff that walks through the door; I thought I would do the economy a favor and help the retiree who walked in the shop with this $100.00 Nagoya Series 10 Last Ditch T-99 Arisaka. Other then someone "un-staking" the screws and the mum being defaced, this gun looks like it left the factory a couple of years ago instead of 65+ years ago. Here's a few photos; and then a link to the rest of them. I broke down the bolt; the frame, extractor, firing pin, and bolt all match...not a bad deal.

See all the nice photos here: http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/last-ditch-arisaka

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Nice catch, who says the LD is "ugly"!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seinen - I used a Nikon D50 in auto-focus and auto exposure; all the shots were outside in partly cloudy skies; f8 1/250th a second. I use a 28-55mm lens so anywhere in between there for a lens. I use Microsoft Digital Image to crop, resize, adjust lighting, and sharpen the pictures. I've probably taken 10,000 pictures with this camera and it is a nice DSLR.

Now it I knew what it is worth and should I shoot it!

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Seinen - I used a Nikon D50 in auto-focus and auto exposure; all the shots were outside in partly cloudy skies; f8 1/250th a second. I use a 28-55mm lens so anywhere in between there for a lens. I use Microsoft Digital Image to crop, resize, adjust lighting, and sharpen the pictures. I've probably taken 10,000 pictures with this camera and it is a nice DSLR.
Thanks for the info. I'm planning to upgrade my little Sony 5.1 mp and am looking for suggestions.

C/

·
Silver Bullet member
2,136 Posts
For what its worth, I have owned 4 Sony and one Ricoh R10 cameras. One of the first Sonys was a $900 one the Ricoh was about $300 and by far the best I have had. Has a good wide angle and close up lense. I saw Trey Stansil with one and liked it. It a little larger than a pack of king size cigaretts. riceone

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
If everything looks okay, i would have no problem shooting this rifle. Ive not shot last ditch rifles extensively, or tried with any effort to get accuracy out of them. Not to say they cant do it, I just havent put forth the effort. I do know that they work great on bowling pins! Stock looks to be in outstanding shape, are there any "w" proofs visible on the wooden buttplate? Ive only seen a few, I think they are usually indistinct and wear off quickly with any use.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, I went back and looked and took a photo. It could be a W; hard to photograph but if you hold the stock...just right...

I could be blowing some smoke too...what do you think? What is the meaning of the W if that is one?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
About 150 for my T-99's would fall into the "last ditch" section , I tend to get more of them as they are more interesting than an early model . I have fired all of them for accuracy and depending on the bore condtion , most shoot just fine . Some are in the top 5% for accuracy of all my T-99's . The main problem is that the sights can be really way off , some so bad as to be almost unusable , and uncorrectable with the fixed rear sight . With at least 100 rounds fired through each rifle , I have never had a problem with any rifle . Also the non-chrome bores seem to like totaly different loads than the earlier chrome bores . mag

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
I think that may be it, the buttplate on that type 99 is mint! The "w" or "M" depending on your point of view, is an inspection mark, most commonly found on nagoya rifles. You should see it pop up on numerous other parts of the rifle, often in multiples.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.