Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've come across a couple of Nagant revolvers recently with completely or mostly obliterated factory/date markings. Does anyone know why/how this came to be? Is this something that happened during refurbishment, a production shortcut, wear from people rubbing on it for good luck or something, or just good old fashioned bubba'ing?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
welcome :)

all NAGANTs, rifles and other weapons prior to 1917 had the Czarist stamping on them, when the czar was overthrown by the Bolsheviks a lot of them were obliviate when they went through a re-arsenal. sometimes they re-stamped it with the soviet arsenal stamp and sometimes they didn't, and sometimes they didn't do anything to the czarist stamps when it went through a re-arsenal.

your 2 examples are the ones they completely obliterating the czarist stampings. you can just make out 2 of the Cyrillic alphabet in the second picture of the czarist stamp, the arsenal worker just went a little overboard and eradiated the year as well, since it's right up against the czarist stamp

I have a example of NAGANT made in 1915 that went through the re-arsenal process that still retains it's czarist stamp

·
Gold Bullet member
13,128 Posts
Husky:

Your Nagant revolvers are very nice. And welcome to the forum! 👍

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
There is a possibility that a Russian revolutionary hated the Tsar so much that he had the mark obliterated on purpose. I don't think there was a systematic effort to remove imperial marks from Nagants.
I tend to agree with this assessment.

You see a deliberate removal of the Czarist eagles (quite often the removal was 'energetic' enough to leave a fairly deep divot where the mark was) on the receivers of pre-1917 M91 rifles when they wre refinished. Why would they treat pistols differently?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.