Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
I believe the general concensus is that it "was" a Japanese helmet; now it is a Thai helment, which is much more common(and cheaper) than the original form.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
They sure are mucho expensive these days. I picked these up along the way & am sure glad I bought them when they were "cheaper". My Dad commented years ago when I told him what I sold one for, "you got that much for that? We used to kick them out of the way". He was on Saipan and Okinawa

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
But a cheap way to buy into a "Japanese" helmet. I am guessing that the only changes are to the suspension system. Otherwise a type 90
Yes, but they are not "reversible"; but you would have a Japanese shell.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
What did your dad do? who was he with?
He was in the Army Engineers as a welder. He did tell me that he was "volunteered" to go out on a couple of patrols but he wasn't a combat soldier. I'm still just as proud of him doing his part and coming home.
These are a few photos from the photo album his Mom, my grandma kept.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Yes is that up at isley field? Wish I could see more of the block house then we could identfy where it was. The are are all probably still there. Too solid to blow up.
No idea where this might be. Looks like a lagoon in the background with a bridge of some kind at the far side of it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rob thank you for posting those great pictures of your dad!!
My two cents on the helmet i worked for almost 20 years at Knotts Berry Farm and we sold many of those same helmets.
we ordered them from Collectors Armory out of Alexandria Va back in the day!!

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Most of the few Thai helmets I've seen were altered to the US style suspension, or left in the Japanese style. This helmet has what looks like attachments for the WWII French suspension. French Indo China?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.