Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a simple observation, question. How normal is it to be frequently kicked from the automated NICS system to an operator while doing a transfer. I have noticed that most of my purchases have involved being "kicked" out of the automated system, and being handled by an operator. Is this normal??

I live in PA, and most all my purchases where I have "problems" have been in PA
I am not paranoid, I am just curious.

TC

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
22,933 Posts
Common causes of NICS delays:

1)Common name that someone else with same name can have record;
2)Old warrants or violations that were supposedly removed from the books, but they still show up in record searches;
3)Applying for a security clearance for work will throw up a flag that your records are being indexed or searched;
4)Home loan or other large loan applications, business Corporation applications, etc. will also throw up a flag that records are being indexed or searched.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So having multiple physical addresses on record (ie moving) would do it.

Phew!! That is sorta what i figured! Good to know.

Thanks A bunch.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
If it occurs FREQUENTLY as it did for me, I'd suggest obtaining a VAF pin through the ATF. Details can be found here:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/vafbrocheng.htm

I'm ex-military with a current TS clearance, and I was getting frequently delayed. The VAF cleared it up, but usually requires a phone call to the NICS Operations Center. The automated NICS check doesn't appear to handle UPIN's well (yet?).

Good luck!

·
Copper Bullet member
9,815 Posts
I get bumped to an operator in PA also. The FFL tells me it's the common name deal. They ask for my description and all's well.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
Huh. Try buying guns on a Green Card...... :rolleyes: Guaranteed delay while they go and check your immigration status. Or, if you really want to confuse NICS, your FFL and just about everybody else, be a non-resident alien with a hunting licence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.