Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local gunshop before lunch. They had on consignment 2 Russian commercial .380 Maks. They are completely new, still in their original box. I'm trying to decide whether to get one. I've got an EG and a Bulgarian and about 15 other handguns. I don't shoot half of what I own anymore.

Still, $125 for a N.I.B. Mak is very good these days. Somebody give me a good reason. It won't take much of one...

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
No way!

I wouldn't get one.

I'd get both! Good trade material, next time you find yourself wanting some Glock-Koch-XD-Pro Carry, you might find you'd get $200 or so trade in value.

Then again, maybe you wouldn't, knowing how some dealers are on trades.

SlimTim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to stop by and get it when I leave work in just a little while. I called the shop, they already sold one. They were just put out this morning.

·
Super Moderator
4,757 Posts
OOOps!

Shouda bought both of them this morning when you saw them. Never lay them down or walk away on a good buy, who know's ST may be standing in line behind you and he wouldn't pass up that deal.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I passed on a deal similar to that...ONE TIME! Never pass again.
That's an excellent deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it.

It's brand spanking new. Two mags and disassembly tool. Imported by Big Bear Arms of Dallas. Big Bear even had their own boxes made for it. It says "Makarov" on the box with a picture of a Mak and a bear logo with "Big Bear Arms and Sporting Goods" and "Izhevskiy Mechanicheskiy Zavod". Serial number B AC 52XX. Black grips with a star and "Baikal" on one side of the grips and "Made in Russia" on the other.

I'll keep it for a back-up to my EG and Bulgarian for now. Maybe use it for a trade one day as Slim Tim suggests.

I bought it mostly because it is brand new and the price. I never stumble across deals like this. Too bad it wasn't one of the great EG deals we see here from time to time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Speaking of using it for trade and just talking off the top of my head here, I've been admiring the 9x18 CZ-82s that are being sold now. If someone has one of them, that they got just recently amd is in like new condition and paid my shipping, I might consider a trade. Only for one of the like new ones from AIM, etc. that I've heard about.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Keep it or sell it... that is the question.

Have you decided to keep it or sell for a sizable profit? Either way, you can't lose. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you decided to keep it or sell for a sizable profit? Either way, you can't lose. :)

I'm just going to keep it unfired for now as a back-up. Maybe trade it for something down the road. Anyone have an unissued or like-new CZ-82 ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a postscript. I put it in the safe after purchasing (10/07) and there it sat till now. I got it out today to fondle it a bit. I had some CLP out that I had been using to wipe down some milsurp rifles. The Mak looked fine but I thought it would be a good idea to wipe down the exterior with CLP. I was surprised to see the patch come off reddish when I wiped around the trigger/trigger guard. I could see no rust on it in the indoor lighting.

I took it outside in better light and I could see some surface rust. I wiped that real good and decided to take the slide off. Sure enough, there was plenty of light surface rust inside the slide. Before long I took it completely apart and gave it a good cleaning. It needed it. No damage or pitting, just surface rust that came off easily.

It's been a good number of years since this gun was imported and it apparently was just put in storage for all these years until it was sold.

Just a reminder to myself and others about rust. I knew this lesson, just relearned it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Alamo. I picked up one today that has sit and has not been fired much. It too had a bit of surface rust in the mag well and some small surface rust on it. Time to give it a good bath. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts