Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an NEW M91 at the Austin Gun Show this weekend. (Still here that round going off)...but it is so lightly stamped you can't read the date. Is there any other way to confirm its age? You can barely make it out that it even says New England Westinghouse. It is the straight stamp. None of the serial numbers match.. in fact the butt plate has two serial numbers, one with a small hammer over it.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Randy,

Glad you found something nice at that show. Glad you didn't catch that round too!!

NEW's are always* stamped 1915. Check out the mosin survey board here for some commentary on serial numbers and actual year of manufacture.

Is yours finn'd? That would explain the mismatched numbers.

(*always is a scary word to use when talking mosins! I think this is accurate with N.E.W.'s.)

T

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Glad you were able to find something nice to bring home. I tried without luck all weekend to find something new.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yea...lucked out....cuz I have purchased from the guy already...I knew he had some NEW's.....so I asked him to bring one....."General Firearms"...Mel Andry....he is pretty reasonable...but he don't like to give you the accessories....(bayonets, slings, stripper clips, cleaning rods)...now that I think about that would make sense on the date.....because of the contract for them was a one time deal if I remember reading correctly....oh well...my ingorance precedes me...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I picked up one a few months ago that is also very lightly stamped. Doesn't look scrubbed, just very light. It is also the straight logo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts