Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello experts!

I came across a Mauser triggerguard assembly for cheap, obviously because one of the previous owners polished off any bluing/finish. At first glance from the blurry photos, I assumed it was for a Kar.98a, however upon closer inspection, the trigger "loop" profile looks off, and rather than Gothic font letters below the crown for the proofmarks, they are standard font letters with an odd shaped crown that isn't Imperial German looking. The magazine follower has a Z in a circle, which makes me suspect that part is Czech?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone on another forum suggested Belgian proofmarks, but I can't be 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I don't think it's a Belgian product. The capture screw is above the front trigger guard screw which makes me think it is a German product made on contract. The FN factory made Mausers had the capture screw located under the front trigger guard screw.
Dan

·
Registered
573 Posts
Most trigger guards with the capture screw above the trigger guard screw also have a hole in front of the trigger guard
that was originally used for moving the sling for parade use. However, I have 2 Kar 98s one with the hole and one without that looks just like the one in the picture. The one I have with the hole is a 1915 Erfurt so I am assuming it is a Kar 98AZ. The one without the hole has been Turked so there are no German markings left. It does have the number 31on the floor plate but no Imperial markings that I can find. I'm thinking this must be an earlier Kar 98 and not a Kar 98AZ. Please forgive me if I'm leading everyone into the weeds on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts