Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents:

Dug a 1909 Imperial Nagant (which I have never used) out of the closet. However every time I pulled the trigger it would not fire. The primers show shallow impact marks and did not detonate. This Nagant is in excellent condition (mirror bore) with nice double headed eagle stamp, a special heavy barrel and adjustable front and rear sights. The hammer pull is soft.

Dismantled, cleaned, lubricated and shaved the hammer stop-flat so the firing pin would strike deeper. No change.

Attached an elastic band around the rear sight and hammer and it shoots every time. Accurate too.

However this is only an elastic Band-Aid solution. Now exploring ways to strengthen the hammer drop by increasing the spring force.

On some pieces you can adjust the firing pin protrusion (ie. Mosin rifle) or hammer spring force (ie. Walther Mod 4).

Is there a simple way to do this on the Nagant?

Comments and or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Sailor

RE: Picture below – Cartridge on upper left did not detonate

·
Registered
719 Posts
The revolver you are describing is a target model. Many of these had the main hammer spring thinned down to make a lighter trigger pull. I think that if you would replace the main spring your problem would go away. Your Band-Aid proves that you have a weak spring.
6.5x55 MOA

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right. Folded the elastic band up and placed it inside the spring, thus increasing the tension and its working fine now.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
Looks like you solved the problem.....I'd get a new mainspring and give it a go, anyway.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Radom, thanks for the tip.

Don’t know if I’ll bother ordering a new spring, kinda like the gentle hammer pull and when the rubber band wears out, there lots more, they use’m to bind up broccoli at the local vegetable market.

Hey Duke, nice coat of arms, didn’t know you were related to the Romanovs.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
yeah, now i know why the broccoli i've been buying was missing the rubber band.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Did it FTF in DA and SA? I have a feeling that these were designed for slow fire SA only. I could be wrong, though.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
[QUOTE

Hey Duke, nice coat of arms, didn’t know you were related to the Romanovs.[/QUOTE]

Well, I didn't know I was either....Rampant Lion and flaming ball is the big part of the coat of arms...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gosha: The gun used to be DA, but during the refurb (to sport model) someone at the factory removed some parts and it is now only SA.

Duke:...flaming ball huh...must signify all the assasination attempts on the royal family...

Regards,

Sailor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts