Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gunboard.com members!
I can't say these identification threads are the most entertaining, but they're invaluable to me trying to make sense of this bayonet collection I inherited.
Here are two bayonets and one scabbard:
The bottom one isn't marked with anything but a serial number, and the top one doesn't even have that. I'm hoping the shape will tip someone off.
The scabbard has a leather(?) casing, with a thickly-sewn seam up one side, maybe with sinew?
I made a phototbucket account to hold these bayonet photos, here's the link:
http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/tempcollection/

I'm dying to know more about these, and appreciate any help!
Thanks in advance!
Euterpe

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
The upper bayonet is for the Winchester M1895 lever-action military rifle. It should be maker-marked on the front face of the crosspiece.

The scabbard body is an early type for the U.S. M1905 bayonet. However, the Krag-style belt hanger is missing, as is the outer cover. The scabbard body is wood, covered in rawhide that has been shrunk tight. A smooth leather cover was stitched over the rawhide, but is missing from this example. The M1905 bayonet was used with the M1903 Springfield rifle and later with the M-1 Garand. This type of scabbard was obsolete well before World War I, although some were still in U.S. stocks as late as 1939.

The lower bayonet is an Italian M1891 for the 6.5 mm. M1891 Mannlicher-Carcano rifle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...

Thanks again for the info-- that's a great looking Winchester.
I've looked at the bayonet again, though, and I can't find a single manufacture mark on it at all. The Carcano has a serial number, but the Winchester doesn't even have that-- could it be an export?
Thanks,
Euterpe

·
Gold Bullet member
2,928 Posts
I believe the scabbard is a M1910. There is a canvas stitched cover for that with the web-belt hooks. The covers are fairly common and cheap on ebay and other places. The part you have is the expensive part and really hard to come by. A complete M1910 scabbard should run over $100. Go find a cover for it.

The M1910 scabbard is for the M1905 bayo which goes with the 1903 Springfield and M1 Garand.

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
Homer's right about the scabbard. It is the later M1910 that used the canvas cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, when I read those first few words I thought you were trying to get rid of me for good!
Ha ha, but I checked, and you're right-- the marking is there.
Thanks again!
E

1 - 9 of 9 Posts