Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

just got some 7.62x51 ammo in trade today, and search as I may, I cannot find more info about this ammo. Part of the problem is that the only headstamp marking is

"7.62mm"

Looked on the headstamp codes website and there is nothing there since there are no other markings to look up.

It is brass cased and non-magnetic.

Person I got it from said he thought it was Yugo surplus, but was not 100%. Never even knew this caliber existed as surplus from Yugoslavia so I wanted to verify. No info yet so looking for help.

Any help would be most appreciated. Is this good stuff?

Thanks

·
Copper Bullet member
9,579 Posts
Reddish-orange primer seal would be Yugo., purple could be South African.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

It has the redish primer seal so I guess it is Yugo. The boxes are completely plain 15 rounds brown cardboard with a single number marked on the outside. I have everything from 1 through 8.

So any other thoughts on this ammo besides it being hot. How does it compare to other surplus 7.62?

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!

It has the redish primer seal so I guess it is Yugo. The boxes are completely plain 15 rounds brown cardboard with a single number marked on the outside. I have everything from 1 through 8.

So any other thoughts on this ammo besides it being hot. How does it compare to other surplus 7.62?

Give it to somebody else to shoot. This stuff is seriously hot loaded. A pal on the range fired three rounds from his Remington 700 something and decided not to shoot any more.

I was RCO, and made him move away from anybody else because of the muzzle blast after the first shot.

tac

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Is the profile on the primer Rounded....or Flat?

Rounded profile on Yugo 7.62x51mm primer makes it a Corrosive primer!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks more flat than round, but does have some curve to it near the edges. Is that vague enough, lol. I will take a pic and post it.

This would be a real bummer if it is corrosive. Is it really too hot as to be dangerous? I would really not like to give away ammo, especially .308 given how pricey it is.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
MG ammo? Be interesting to pull the bullets and check the powder loading.
"MG ammo"?.....No it IS NOT! Why do people continue to think that "MGs" Use or Require "hot" loaded ammunition".

They use standard issue Rifle caliber (and pressure!) ammunition.

I have never seen a 'Hot' loaded Yugo 7.62x51mm cartridge, and I have seen a bunch!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a few hundred rounds of this stuff I picked up at a local gunshop.

Brass case, corrosive with the rounded primer and 3 - crimp.

Def. Yugo export; if you look at the stamped numbers on the outside of the boxes you've got (btw are the boxes brown colored or pink colored?), the stamps are same as the ones on the "chajnepn" sniper 8mm. Packaged the same way 'n all.

If you've got some 20round NNY/PPU Hotshot ammo commerically, like 8mm or 54r, open some up and you'll find a slip of paper w/lot #s and the like. The lot #s font and size should be the same as the #s stamped on the outside of your boxes.

Seems to shoot the same as m80 ball out of an 2a Enfield and R700; fun to plink with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts