Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made a nice little find on friday.

I Visited a Gun vendor in Helsinki when I was looking for some cheap 9mm for my Glock. I also asked the guy did he have any old Mosins available.

First he said no, but then he said he had one Mosin in the backroom which didn't interest anybody. I asked him to fetch it and when I saw it, I noticed it was lightly bubbaed and poorly maintained m91 dragoon. I asked the price and he sold it to me with 50€ -> about 80$.

It's an Izhevsk 1924 made m91 dragoon. Price was that massive 50€ because no one else wasn't interested for it and the vendor tried to get rid of the rifle. So I bought it away, I was unable to resist it. As for a bonus, the rifle came with m28 sling with faint "S" stamped on it. :D

When I got back to my summer cabin, I washed the stock with nail brush and dishwasher soap. Metal parts were washed with mineral spirits and dishwasher soap. After that I tried the stock in the Sauna when I was warming it up. Next day I treated the stock with two layers of Scherell stock oil and inner surfaces with beeswax. Metal parts got some Break free CLP. Previous owner had painted the front sight to yellow and rear sight red. Those were easily removed with pain remover.

SA Stamp:

Stock is made by Tula. There are under buttplate stamps of "30" and "X" and "XI". Propably october or november 1930?

Original Tula made m91 dragoon barrel bands and springs:

There are some scratches and bruises present on the stock, but the rifle has served at least two armies and two wars. The rifle is also missmatching, although the barrel and buttplate do match. But hey, can't complain :)

The m28 sling:

EDIT: Horrible misspelling

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Wee,
You have done well my Son, it looks good. Get some "brass wool" and see if you can clean off the rust spots on the receiver. If you can't find any try just a pencil on them, rub the pencil over the rust spot till it comes off then oil. It will usually clean off the active rust nicely. You will have some minor pits but the oil will stabilize them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks like you'll need the second piece for the m/28-30 sling though.
Yes I was wondering the sling, it's odd some way. It's one piece like first pattern civil guard slings used before two-piece m/30 sling but it seems to have the second pattern buckle used after June 1936. Altough it has metal end buttons that were also dropped after alterations that came to manufacture June 1936 and after. Total lenght is about 110cm so it must be m28-30 sling without the second part, not m28 sling like I tought earlier. Unfortunatetly, I didn't have my books with me when I spotted it to be m28 sling :eek:

Get some "brass wool" and see if you can clean off the rust spots on the receiver.
Thanks Zorro. I think I leave it this way. Spots from old rust gives the old war horse the right kind of patina.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wee,

it looks to have a PM mark.

Jeff
Interesting. As far as I know, "pm" seems to be unknown mark. 7.62x54R.net didn't have any reference to it when I last time checked it.

Jeff, do you got some up to date information? Please share it if you have. :cool:

I also noticed that the rifle has finn made 200m notch in the rear sight but not any markings for meters.

During the wars against soviet union in 1939-1944, estimated amount of 13 376 m91 dragoon rifles were captured and bought from Germany. Now I have one of those. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all of you people for your feedback :)

I'm dying to wait, does anyone of you have any information from that "PM" mark?

KH, pm sent.

Ps. "PM" on my Mosin won't most propably mean "private message" so who ever of you tought to make it a joke of it, don't even think about it... ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is that a post-war Soviet sling on that rifle? I'd leave the leather sling on it - who knows, it might have been wearing it when it was fighting for Finn freedom in WW2.
Yes that is a 1950s made m91-30 sling. Original m/30 m28-30 sling was only one piece (not two piece like it should be) and quite worn out, dry and weak. I think it was a post war addition to the rifle for hunting purposes because the dog collars were made from post war universal leather strings and sights were painted red & yellow.

All of my ww2 era m91-30 slings are already in use and this one was only one available that carries the rifle reliably in the shooting range.

Although I have some finnish wire hangers and substitute slings & leather m91-30 sling somewhere, maybe I add one of those.

Ps. My palm is small sized and at the range, that dragoon shoots palm sized groups from 100 meters. :D

D

·
0 Posts
How is it these guys in Finland write English so very well, and no one among us stateside can read or write Finnish at an equal level? As Finnish rifle collectors we've got to get our act together! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Now you're starting to sound like a certain candidate DJF. I can read a few words, but I don't have the time to learn it, otherwise I would. And to answer your question, English is used due to the influence in world markets. Same thing as French used to be the universal language, and before that, Latin.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
English?

I have written several notes to that Rosetto Stone language learning method complaining that they don't have a Finnish course! So far No Luck! I also echo the sentiments of you Finnish fellows doing so well with English and perhaps using better grammar then most of us! Down right embarrassing at times! Bill

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
I believe the red and yellow paint on the sights was done postwar by the Finnish military as I have two Lugers with this same paint and they came that way direct from the importer. Super find BTW!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts