Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posting it for the purpose of reinvesting the interest

got this this year , its fun , but not accurate for me - large handfull for a 22cal handgun

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,861 Posts
I tried mine out in the basement, missed the trap and put an extra hole in the pegboard. After a quick check outside to make sure the neighbor was not going to complain of extra holes in his house. Interesting but not target grade for sure. Just a comment to remind people that the inserts may not shoot where the sights are.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
I've got both type of conversions for the Webley, the one posted and a single shot system that replaces the drum with a single shot chamber that you open like in the Camp Perry revolver-
It is an interesting piece of conversation but the lack of accuracy makes me wonder if the english ever tried to hit a target with this conversions-

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice to know its not just me , i too would like to get one of the single shot versions [just because] but not yet come accross it at the right moment

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
Another Webley in .22 I have, and this one shoots like a doll ,is a 6 shooter that looks like the .455 but downsized, the only one I saw is the one I have-I'll post pics if my boy decides to collaborate-

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've always found the Webley & Scott .22RF conversion pistols to be very well made and of an interesting design. I haven't acquired a W&S conversion yet, but I do have a cased Webley & Scott MK IV "purpose built" Target revolver in .22RF. Here's a few photos of it:

....and then there's the two W&S "purpose built" single shot .22RF pistol, a Mdl 1909 MKII and a Mdl 1911:

LDHare

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
LD, there's two of us with the same gun,pics of mine below.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
those are indeed beautiful webleys fellows , im wondering at the long barrels of the two singleshots - for targets ? and why particularly on the semi version ?

were the purpose made 22 target revolvers intended for competition ? i can tell you that my parker hale conversion was not , but it would make a great training aid for the 455 mkVIs

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very, very nice Raul. I figured that you had one of these MK IV Target .22RF revolvers and I wanted to see some siblings since I honestly don't know a lot about them. They only show up briefly in a few of my references and these don't get into any significant detail. I suspect that W&S didn't make too many, but then I have no idea of the actual production number. I do know that they were produced from 1929 until the mid 1950's.

The W&S Mdl 1911 ss pistol was originally manufactured as a trainer for the W&S Mdl 1906 .32 self loading pistol, and reportedly, one was issued to each precent of the London Metropolitan Police. W&S also continued to produce some Mdl 1911's as replacements, and for commercial sales, but the total number produced was apparently, less that a couple of thousand.

The long barrels on the two single shot pistols is probably intended to provide a longer sight radius, and perhaps for balance.

LDHare

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that makes some sence , it looks so much diferent than what id imagined they were intended to 'train' for that i began to wonder if they were intended for competition , id guess the longer sight radius would be helpfull , and the length approaches optimum for the 22 cal LR cartrige as i understand it

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
those are indeed beautiful webleys fellows , im wondering at the long barrels of the two singleshots - for targets ? and why particularly on the semi version ?
Yes the break .22 was a purpose built target pistol. Every pistol club in the UK had some at some time - in latter days as training pistols.

The semi is in fact a semi-semi. It was designed as a practice pistol for users of the Webley .32 Pocket Pistol e.g. The Metropolitan Police. The reason that I called it a semi-semi is that it is in fact a single shot pistol. However, on firing it extracts and ejects the spent cartridge and then locks open for the insertion of a fresh round.

Both of these are now Section 5 - Prohibited Weapons in Great Britain (but not the UK) along with machine guns and rocket launchers.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why prohibit an obvious training/target type - and in 22cal ? its certainly not a pocket pistol the criminal would prefer ....i dont get poititions at all ,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone. Recently my grandfather gave me this webley&scott for which I would like to ask you if you have any information to give me because I have no idea How old are they have some merit.
thanks in advance kon.
Εικόνα0134.jpg Εικόνα0133.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts