1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3 Posts
what would it cost to have you make one if these??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bill - I hope your putting that talent to good use. Nice work.

·
Registered
363 Posts
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/RGR600-1254-2708.html
has quite a few conflicting reviews on these. Do you see a durability problem, especially with the mounting clamp screw bosses?
Is the only BATF restriction on this type of rapid fire mechanism that it must be manually operated? I know putting a motor on it would mean jail time, as that would go to being full auto.
I love the idea of .22LR, as that is affordable enough. I wonder where one could find the BATF rules on this, to be sure that making anything similar would not lead to trouble.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
My Aircooled MG42/Ruger 10/22

Below are pictures of the air-cooled MG42/Ruger 10/22 I made from aluminum. It is an 80% scale model of the real MG42 in the rear of the pictures. It took me about 9 months to fabricate it working on and off. The stock and grips were hand carved. The hardest design issue was making the cocking handle operate the bolt of the Ruger 10/22 exactly like the real MG42. This was my very first project as a machinist.

Detailed plans for fabrication are available with instructions and a CD with over 50 pictures to aid in the construction.

Bill

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Thats just cool !!!! Thanks for the vids

·
Registered
83 Posts
has quite a few conflicting reviews on these. Do you see a durability problem, especially with the mounting clamp screw bosses?
Is the only BATF restriction on this type of rapid fire mechanism that it must be manually operated? I know putting a motor on it would mean jail time, as that would go to being full auto.
I love the idea of .22LR, as that is affordable enough. I wonder where one could find the BATF rules on this, to be sure that making anything similar would not lead to trouble.
Pappa-you can purchase a gattling gun kit to put two of your own 10/22s togeather. Each turn of the crank sends four 22s downrange. Considered semi auto by B.A.T.F. However it is not legal in a few of the Peoples Republics like New Joysey and Kalifonia.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what would it cost to have you make one if these??
Sorry it took so long for me to reply to you tommy-gunner. No eta on when I will have them available for sale or any cost projections yet. I am currently making the 3rd and final preproduction prototype. That prototype will incorporate things I learned from making the first two that will improve the design somewhat. It will have a standardized fake receiver that will allow you to quickly interchange between an air cooled version to a water cooled version in just a minute, using the same standardized fake receiver.
When that one is finished and tested, that will be the production model. Then I have to figure out the costs of production and what they will sell for. So I'm not there yet, but it is coming along nicely.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks everyone, glad you liked them. Here's a few update pics showing the cone flash hider I installed on both the air and water cooled prototypes and also the new tripod mount adaptor I made that allows me to not only use them on the Browning 1917, 1928 and M2 tripods, but to also fit both prototypes onto either a German MG3 tripod or a standard camera tripod. Also a link to the latest video of them firing at the range on U tube.

Both prototypes at the range below prior to installing the cone shaped flash hider on both.
Water cooled mounted on Browning 1928 tripod and air cooled mounted on Browning M2 tripod, but both will fit either tripod ....

Latest video of them firing at U tube.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkGUC7Bo5U

I recently installed a cone shaped flash hider that looks just like the one on the full size browning 1917 only smaller to fit my prototype's scale. I installed one on the air cooled prototype too.

Below, a couple of comparison pics of my cone flash hider on my water cooled Ruger 10/22 side by side with a full size Browning with cone flash hider.

Below pics show where I finished making adaptors that will allow my air & water cooled Ruger 10/22 prototype dress up kits to fit onto a German Mg3 tripod as well as a standard camera tripod using the same adaptor. I had a few people from online tell me that the cost of a machine gun tripod would stop them from buying my dress up stocks when I go into production. So I made an adaptor that allows them to fit onto any camera tripod as well as the German Mg3 tripod and will provide these when I finally get into production. Mine works great on the camera tripod, allows me to stand up or sit on a bar stool to fire and has a wide range of motion. Camera tripods are relatively cheap and can be found anywhere. All camera tripods have a camera mounting screw that is 1/4 X 20 tpi so I tapped my adaptor block to accept that. Here's a few below pics showing my air cooled model on the Mg3 tripod and camera tripod using the one adaptor for both. The water cooled model not shown in these below pics will also fit the German MG3 tripod and camera tripod also. In fact I currently have the water cooled prototype mounted on the German MG3 tripod and my air cooled prototype mounted on the camera tripod...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no problem with the mounting screws on the BMF activator.
Correct, you must manually operate a crank fire device. Putting any kind of motor on it has been classified by BATFE to be full auto.

Each BMF activator comes with a classification letter from BATFE declaring it a non machine gun device. Any hand cranked device such as this is not a machine gun. See Federal law as well as BATFE opinions on Gatling guns and crank fire devices.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
3rd and final pre production water cooled Ruger 10/22 dress up kit prototype.

PROVISIONAL PATENT PENDING.

The 3rd improved, pre production water cooled Ruger 10/22 prototype Browning style, machine gun dress up kit is coming along nicely and is almost finished.
This 3rd prototype of mine, incorporates all the things I learned in making the first two prototypes. It also has numerous improvements built into it.

As with the first two prototypes, it will be crank fired like a gatling gun using an accessory crank fire trigger attachment.

The same standardized aluminum stock, can be quick changed between being a Browning style air cooled 1919, to a 1917 TRULY water cooled model in just a minute. It also has a built in bolt recoil buffer and has a one inch longer receiver and water jacket that cools one inch more of the barrel than my previous water cooled prototype did. It also has a redesigned top cover as well as redesigned back and front fake receiver covers. It is the best of the three prototypes and incorporates all the good features of the first two prototypes, with simplification and improvements over them as well.

As with the first two prototypes, there is no modification to the Ruger 10/22 receiver in any way.

Below are some pictures taken yesterday of the 3rd prototype as it is progressing to an almost finished point. Hopefully it will be completely finished by next week or the week after that. Then it will be polished out and anodized.

Below, my friend Pete, holding it.

These are not yet for sale. There will be four of these built soon to start with. Cost has not yet been determined. Let me know if you want one and I will put you on a list to contact when they are done and we have pricing. You can contact me at [email protected]

THE HEAVY BULL BARREL WILL COME WITH THE KIT. You will have to have your own Ruger 10/22 receiver and trigger group. We will have a mount that comes with the kit that allows you to attach the kit to a full size M2 tripod, the Browning 1917 or 1928 tripod and also an adapter block as an optional accessory to allow you to attach the kit to a standard camera tripod since not everyone has a machine gun tripod and the camera tripod works great. I use one on my air cooled prototype. You can find the "BMF activator" crank fire trigger attachment at Cabella's or other dealers online for an average of about $25.00

·
Platinum Bullet Member
37,720 Posts
Hey Bill, love the aftermarket transmission fluid cooler as a radiator! Pick that up from Summit? :D

Excellent craftsmanship, all of you guys!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Bill, love the aftermarket transmission fluid cooler as a radiator! Pick that up from Summit? :D

Excellent craftsmanship, all of you guys!!!
Thanks. It was just a transmission cooler I had lying around the shop and decided to put it to use as an experiment in place of a condensing chest. It actually works pretty good and the fins will dissipate heat much better than just a standard machine gun condensing chest or can.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
37,720 Posts
Thanks. It was just a transmission cooler I had lying around the shop and decided to put it to use as an experiment in place of a condensing chest. It actually works pretty good and the fins will dissipate heat much better than just a standard machine gun condensing chest or can.
Good idea. I never tire of seeing human ingenuity at work.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been a while since I last posted about my crank fire creations, so here's an update on my latest 3rd prototype that is convertible between being water cooled or air cooled in under a minute and showing it firing at the range. I used to use Webshots to upload my photos and videos to. But when they closed down, all the pictures and videos I had linked to there in my online posts, disappeared. I still have my pics and videos on my computer and saved to disks, but they disappeared in all my online posts since they were all linked to Webshots. Now I use Photobucket as well as YouTube.

Here's a video I just finished creating showing the evolution of my crank fire dress up kit prototypes versions 1 through 3. The first one is air cooled only. The second one is (truly) water cooled only. But my third prototype is convertible in under a minute to be either air cooled or (truly) water cooled (no fake water jackets here). I learned a lot making the first two, and my 3rd prototype incorporates new design changes that I learned from making the earlier ones. In my video you will see my latest 3rd prototype firing at the range using the new GSG 110 rd drum mag and it's really spitting out the rounds. Hope you enjoy it. Bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJi6rvNwIs&feature=youtu.be

·
Diamond+ Bullet Member
1,632 Posts
Excellent... Please let us know when you'll have these ready for sale!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts