Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bring back is a Chicom Type 53 Dated 1960, Factory 26. There are no matching numbers which is no suprise as the Viet Cong often switched parts as needed. I never saw a clean weapon with matching numbers while i was in the Nam from 1967-1968 with the 1st Squadron,
4th Cavalry, 1st Infantry Division. Along with the weapon is his uniform (Black Pajamas),money MPC and VN Dong, all paperwork including American Embassy Export License, Provost Marshal Cleared for Conus, DD603 Registration of War Trophy and DD603-1 War Trophy Registration Authorization. If you remember the first Gulf War there was a general who gave a briefing almost every day on the war, General Thomas W. Kelly, He was the Operations Officer of my unit in the Nam. He also signed my War Trophy Registration although he was Major Kelly at that time. (See Attachments) Thanks for letting me post. ssg vietnam

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THIS IS REPLY TO milprileb It's not an M44, these are clones manufactured by the Chinese starting in 1953, thus the name Type53. As for the bolt it is not blued it's just the lighting and some dark spots. The Dong was the South Vietnams currency from 1953 to 1968, thats when i was there 1967-68. Thanks for your comments. ssg vietnam

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Type 53 is a Chinese M44. I brought one back too.

The DONG is North Vietnamese currency and always has been.

THe Piaster is the South Vietnamese currency during the American involvement in Viet Nam War. After fall
of SVN, the DONG became the national currency.

Your weapons is what it is and a bring back well documented. The DONG... recommend you do your
home work. The fact you served speaks well of you.
I don't know what nam money you used over there but this is what i used. see attachment. ssg vn Banknote Money Currency Cash Paper

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Very interesting items. Is the shirt pullover or button? It is very unusual, given the type of collar. And the pants look to be VC main force type. Thanks for sharing your bringbacks, and thanks for your service.
Thanks for the reply. The Shirt is button up and all i know is our svn laison told me it was vc black pjs ssg vn

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
SSG, I did bounce your photo off one of the premier Vietnam collectors. He recognizes the shirt as a tailor made VC Main Force example which he has seen only in photos. Neither he nor I have that type in our collections as they are very uncommon (I just have the pants). In his words, it is a "killer" example. Anyway, it may be that your peasant fighter might have been a bit more serious. Luckily you didn't turn in the uniform to intel; it probably wouldn't have made it back to you!
Thanks for your reply and the imformation. I'm attaching 2 photos and i would apppreciate any information you might find. Thanks again. Arty ssg vn Clothing Outerwear Jacket Leather jacket Leather
Also To the best of my knowledge enemy units in the area around the time of the Tet Ofensive were The 9th VC Divisions 271st - 275th VC Regts, The Phu Loi Battalion and various NVA and Local Forces
Clothing Jeans Magenta Trousers Shorts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If my memory serves correct it took 100 Piaster to make 1 mpc dollar. Yes MPC was almost always preferred by the small shops at Dau Tieng. We'd get busted if we were caught doing it though. SSG what Arty unit were you in? I was in 1st of the 5th. oldest arty unit in the US Army at the time. 105 direct support unit. Where were you located? What was your mos?
I wasn't in the Arty my name is Arty, my unit was 1st Squadron, 4th Cavelry, 1st Infantry Division base camp Phu Loi see attachment. Thanks for the reply Arty ssg vn Text Font Academic certificate Diploma Paper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.