Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I spent my New Years day off of work. If anyone wants detailed pics of anything pictured, just say so! Enjoy!

BTW its really incomplete without a 1911. Anyone have a nice authentic one for sale? Oh yeah, and maybe a 48 star flag as well. :cool:

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
That's a nice way to spend a holiday off of work! Great collection, thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
137 Posts
wow very nice! love the 03s youve got!

·
Registered
567 Posts
That is a very nice collection. I wish I had the money as there is a gun shop not to far from me that has a Johnson for Sale.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Nice indeed...the Johnson is not one you see everyday.
Flakshield

·
Registered
222 Posts
I walked into a gun shop with my Father circa 1970 (being 11, then), and they had a double sided rack in the middle of the floor with nothing but Johnsons in it. As I recall, they were going for $150.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My US stuff

Thanks for the comments guys. I find one of the hardest parts of collecting is not really having many outlets to share your collection with others. This is the first time I've ever really posted some of my collection online before, and so far it's been well received, so thanks!;)

Posting the US stuff was easy as it is easily the biggest segment of my collection. Now I need a creative way to show off the hodge podge of other countries that I have, without necessarily doing it one or two rifles at a time. Any suggestions :confused:

Monkey~ The '03s I actually came by with some luck. I picked both of them up recently from a fellow at a VFW hall and he only wanted $500 FOR BOTH :eek:! They were horribly dirty and neglected, but they were original and they cleaned up really nice. I actually donated an additional $100 to the hall for their Thanksgving charity drive for the Vets. I also promised to donate to them for their annual trip where they take Vets to D.C. and tour the war museum and memorials. So win, win I think ;)

The '03A3 is from the CMP and a fellow traded it to me as a partial payment toward a motorcycle I was selling.

Rudy N~ I bought the Johnson for the exact reason Jeff Barnes mentioned in his post, it was expensive now, but I bought it a year ago when I was 29, imagine hopefully what it'll be worth 30+ yrs later! Aside from it being a sound investment though, after reading Bruce Canfield's book on Melvin Johnson and his waepons, I am extremely proud to own it. I highly suggest that if you can somehow manage to add one to your collection, do it! Someday maybe I'll get the stones to actually shoot it.:p

And as for you Mr. vintagemc313, I'll have you know the last time I "...just wanted to show off <my> Johnson", I ended up married! I just don't whip it out for show and tell anymore! :D

Finally bigtoe (in my naive little kids voice, picture Opie): 'Golly Mister, I was really hoping to get $50 for it so I could buy my Dad a birthday present'. :(

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments. You guys are the best! :cool:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
SWEET!

Hello Haserot. I just saw your collection. Definately a GREAT start! You need a M1A1 carbine, 1911, 1911A1, and a Smith & Wesson 1917. I haven't seen a U.S. collection like that since I was at the Military museum at Ft. Leonardwood, MO. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
832 Posts
not too shabby, man. Just when I thought I'd be on themarket for a real deal 1911 or a Luger, I up and bought a house... no more guns for a while, well, except for the Mosins, they're still cheap enough.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not only do I like the photo's of your collection I also like the photo of your BMW. The Germans were not much good at winning wars but they make good weapons, motorcycles and cars. My brother has a Johnson and I can look at it or shoot it anytime I want to. Thanks for sharing your collection with us.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone

Not only do I like the photo's of your collection I also like the photo of your BMW. The Germans were not much good at winning wars but they make good weapons, motorcycles and cars. My brother has a Johnson and I can look at it or shoot it anytime I want to. Thanks for sharing your collection with us.
Thanks man! The rifles are a hobby, but that bike is my life. I've been everywhere on it, and I'll ride it well into a NNE Ohio winter. I once took it to a gunshow where I bought 3 rifles (MAS36, M44 & K98). Broke them down using the bikes toolkit, put the components in sleeves (always travel with a case/sleeve. You never know!), strapped it all down and rode an hour home.When I got home I had to pick the bugs out of my teeth b/c I looked like this guy all the way home ---> :D. Now that was a damn good gunshow!

I've haven't shot the Johnson yet. It's the only thing in my collection I haven't used yet (next to the Ross 1905, which I've read can kill you from either end :eek:). I don't know why I'm so nervous/cautious about it, but I am. I've had it checked and looked over by a Johnson expert (hehe) and a gunsmith and both have given their ok. It has been recommended that I get a new barrel as to not wear out the original. Apparently an '03 barrel will do, but you have to use the collar off the original barrel to make it work. About a $200 dollars I've been told. I'm sure once I take that step I'll get out with it.

Again thanks to everyone for their comments. Maybe I'll do a post with just different pics of the Johnson and it's workings/componets if you guys are interested in seeing that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I drive a 1977, R100/7, it's about as old as you and I too have taken it many places. On trap league nights I will strap the o/u onto it and take it to the range.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts