Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My uncle was shot down over germany on a bombing raid,plane was hit by flak wing on fire ,he was able to parachute out before it crashed , after several days hiding in the countryside he was captured,a pilot of a B17.He kept a diary on scraps of paper hidden from the germans in his shoes while in the POW camp.The officers were treated better than most but still on a starvation diet,thin soup and sour bread,an occasional rat for meat if you could catch one.He was liberated and was able to find his files,capture photos,etc.He kept his last meal of brown german bread,its petrified now and a knife he made from a piece of aircraft that was shot down over the camp.Camp ID tags and a few other items.He was an english professor at Dekalb university after the war and wrote a diary about his experiences.My grandmother kept the newspaper clippings and telegrams.I have a couple of his dress uniforms,several silver wings and patches ,all his papers,he didnt have any kids so I got about everything.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Man, from the pre- capture picture I bet he was quite popular with the ladies in whatever town was near his base in England.
My wife's dad flew out of Dunkeswell and he had some stories about the parties they had when on leave...
He was the sole living member of his aircrew after they got shot up over Germany and after having limped back to base, crashed and burned on landing..
He was a navy carpenter's mate manning the left waist gun of a Navy B24 flying anti-sub patrols and also combined with the 8th air force on the big raids over Germany.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,167 Posts
3,343 Posts
I, too, second what Phosphorus32 Says!

The 7th photo down in your Post, Identifying photographs of your Uncle: The profile photo is made to show ear size and shape. Second only to fingerprints, the most physically identifying characteristics of a person is ear characteristics. No two are alike! Those involved in intel/counterintel operations will go to extreme lengths to prevent their ears from being photographed.

Keep these Treasures safe, and pass this on to family members who will do likewise!

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys!This stuff will go to my son.Here is some pics of the uniform he is wearing in the pic.Perfect cond. no mothing,kept in a zippered suit bag for 70 years.The silver wings on uniform have tarnished to a blueish color.Some patches and extra wings he had,the silver wire one is uncommon at least I havent seen these before.Carry bible and pilot license.Not sure if its an NSKK pennant as unusual it dosent have the NSKK around the eagle.Its a high quality piece with the eagle embroidered in silver thread he brought it back.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
My uncle was also in Stalag VIIA. Captured at Anzio. He worked in the camp bakery and possibly baked that German bread! Here's his tag. Not sure why his is broken in half...he survived the war. Gary
Sort of funny. My uncle was in there too. It was a big place. He was a medic who was captured in Sept 44 in the assault on the Gothic Line. He wound up doing farm work and translating, as he came from a German speaking household.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.