Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello-
I just picked up a bnz43 at a show yesterday and was hoping to get some help from the forum. It is nearly all matching, except the bands and with no markings distinguishable on the stock. I cannot find an import mark on it. The bore is excellent. According to a few sites I have checked out, the markings seem correct (77 plus WaA 623). I am hoping someone can tell me I didn't get taken with a fake or remarked K98, so I'll include pics...

I wish I new how to check the stock, but I do not believe it is original. It is a laminate stock with cupped brg buttplate.

What would you have paid...???

·
Registered
191 Posts
The serial number to the stock should be in the barrel channel. Just take the bands off and then the bottom screws on the trigger guard. I am thinking that a cupped buttplate could be right for that, but others here will know better than me. Very nice looking and looks like you did good. Post a full picture of the rifle if you can. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
full pic update...

I have taken it apart a couple times trying to make out any numbers or markings on the stock, and the numbers in the bbl channel are too difficult to make out. The stock does look like my R/C wood, but the finish is more "correct" I would think. It also does not have a s/n stamped on the butt like a R/C would. It is always possible someone sanded it down and that is why I cannot make out any marks...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yes...

Looks like a decent K98. Does not look like a bnz 43 stock from the bolt inlet in the stock so likely not orig to the action. Is there a "g" on the top bolt flat?
There is a g under the s/n on the bolt flat...both g's are lower case

edit: Is there any way to obtain a correct stock for this, or is it just a matter of watching and waiting? What would the correct butt plate for this one be?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah. The stock looks more like what you would find in a Mauser and not a BNZ. There is no "G" suffix on the bolt from what I can see. I have a BNZ 44 (large font) and the buttplate is unmarked and left in the white (but it's actually brownish now due to the patina).

No import mark is always good though. Check out the barrel closely for any signs of grinding and such. The early imports only have a very light import stamping on them. From what I read here you can easily grind it off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only a large takedown gouge...

My R/C is an oberndorf 1937 S/42, so it is not wonder I thought the stocks look similar. I just disassembled and looked over the bbl for a tiny import mark or signs of grinding, and if someone did it they did a great job hiding it. My horrible pic of the bolt group did not show the "g", but it is there. I will be dumping my camera for a new one soon. It has served me adequately for nearly 7 years now...but it's time to move on.

Well, I'll announce the damages now...I dropped $600 on it. There was always a doubt with me that the stock matched, but if it did I figured it would be twice as much...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Any cartouche on the stocks RS?

I have not see many stocks where the SN was not legible in the channel. That was a very protected area and the channel should also be pretty white from no stain and little oxidation.
Somtimes, the stock channel is stained/messed with post war...

From the pics below, top pic is a walnut stocked byf. Bottom is a laminate stocked dot...

·
Registered
216 Posts
A laminated stock with the cupped buttplate would be correct for the rifle, but as stated above, doesn't look like a bnz 43 stock. Looks maybe like a very light "g" under the bolt S/N just to the right of the mark made by the bolt hitting the back of the receiver bridge. Must be a very light stamping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe more than I thought...

I actually can make out more of a number on the pics than I can with my eyes...X577 on the handguard. Still cannot see any WaA or cartouche on any part of the stock. It does not appear to be sanded to me. The marking under the bbl are nearly impossible to make anything out of...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... Must be a very light stamping.
Yes, it is not deep like the numbers are. So, this stock in not exactly incorrect for this rifle, it just isn't a steyr stock? I guess I can be happy with that and enjoy the excellent bore a bit...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks...

to those willing to add their input on my new rifle. I will always remain modest...but try to learn as much as I can. All of those people out there who know so much more than I do...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
stock

No the stock is not correct but does appear to match itself. Nice looking rifle though.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,055 Posts
I don't think it is possable for a matching bolt to be an import?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
it may not be the correct stock for the rifle but it could still have came from germany that way. who knows for sure. maybe you can get ahold of the guy you bought it from and tell him that you don't care that much and you are keeping it but that you would still like to know. maybe you can get the info.

i would rule out the possibility of it being an rc and it doesn't look like in came from the netherlands either. maybe just a mismatch stock. it still is extremely nice in my opinion and you probably paid its worth. especially with no import marks. still there is a possibility that the numbers in the channel were steamed out???

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
stock

I have seen plenty of import marked guns with matching bolts. I just saw one on a bcd 4, with matching bolt, reciever, barrel but not the stock or bands. Some rc's have come in completely matching, I have heard of a few examples in the last few years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey mauserkid...

Hi-
I just wanted to know what you meant by the stock is not correct. All I meant ("not exactly incorrect") was that a laminate stock with a cupped butt plate is correct...not that this stock was correct for the bnz rifle. I can live with that, honestly, for the price I paid. Unless, of course, you know of a bnz stock available that would make this rifle all correct.

Also, I would love to find one of those all matching r/c's. Where did you see them (please tell me it wasn't at a local shop)? Seems like it would be a more affordable option than buying a matching non-import...
Also, I have to ask: did you noticed if the russians ep'd the bolts even with them already matching...? For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if they did...
Thanks,
Bill

·
Silver Bullet member
3,055 Posts
I have an un-scrubed, un-EP'ed RC that I thought was special, but an all matching RC would certinly be collectible IMO..

I'd like to see pix of that..

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
stock

When someone mentioned the rifle coming from Europe with that stock, they where talking about it being "correct" in a sense that if had been on there a good while. I could possibly have been replaced by an armorer, you never know. For the manufacturer it is not correct in the most strict sense but was possibly returned to service in the manner in which it exists now, therfore it is correct to that rifle. It's kind of complicated in words, but it's like a Yugoslavian Capture in that they were rebuilt with assorted parts and renumbered, and are therefore correct to that rifle. If you inspect the stock inleting for the action, you may be able to tell if the stock wasn't recently slapped on there by the way grime builds up in a stock, a stock and reciever that have been together 60 years will seat real well and have a tight fit. But yes a cupped and lam stock is correct to your rifle. Yes the rifle was in a local shop and I looked at it again today, like I said though only reciever, bolt and barrel matched, but I have heard of completely matching RC's. The guys in these shops generally aren't stupid, they don't slap all RC's up at a set price. They will go through and price according to scarcity. So they are not always more economical to buy, if it's 45 dated or in semi or original configuration they'll probably drive the price up. Imagine some of the rare codes and pristine RC's coming in that the workers take first pick of. They took me into their warehouse and showed me some the "rare" 98 codes held in reserve. No the bolts weren't ep'd. I haven't even seen a RC with scrubed code in the last 2 years or horible ep parts like some of the other RC batches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts