Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,387 Posts
Hello. Please note: Fake. The observation by 81turbota is spot on and I'll add that the slide serrations are 1947 style. Tula was no longer producing the TT33 by then. Check out Cameron Whites Tokarev book for details. Cheers, ABTOMAT

·
Gold Bullet member
9,172 Posts
One thing I noticed that looked a bit fishy is that the inscription, in Russian, reads "...from the workers of the Tula factory." Note that the proper name should be "Tula Weapons Factory" and the missing word is "oruzheinogo" in transcription. Why it was not included in the engraving may be simply because of the lack of space, but who knows. Everybody knows of the huge Tula weapons production complex.

This reminds me of a faked samovar I saw in Germany in the 1980's. I was in the US Army at that time and a colleague came back from a vacation in Turkey with an "antique" Russian samovar. Examining the various stamped markings, which typically denote the various prizes the maker has won for his products, I saw numerous spelling errors. So the samovar was either a complete fake, or an old worn samovar that had its markings enhanced by someone with only rudimentary knowledge of Russian. On another occasion I saw a faked Russian icon, also with spelling errors, although in Old Church Slavonic. The kicker was that on the back side of the icon were glued sheets of old Russian newspapers printed with the post revolution orthography. By then it was well known that Gulag prisoners were making these fake antique icons.

Regarding the OP's original photo, even if it is a fake, it would still be valuable simply because so much skill and effort went into it. Oddly, there is a lucrative market for certain faked renaissance paintings, particularly by a certain German painter, and this is because of the amount of skill invested ino making a fake.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
773 Posts
Real or early Photoshop:
View attachment 3929029
Hi. Thanks for sharing this photo. While anything is possible, I never came across anything like this when researching my book on Tokarev pistols. The idea of shrinking down a design goes way back and makes me think of the "baby Luger" of which only a very few were made.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,172 Posts
Going OT, but still sort of relevant: read the short story "Levsha" - "Lefty" - by the 19th Century Russian writer Nikolai Leskov. Briefly, Tsar Nicholas I commissions the skilled gunsmiths at the Tula arsenal to one-up the British, who presented his father with a microscopic mechanical flea. The Tula gunsmiths take the microscopic mechanical flea and attach horseshoes to its feet. The result of course, is that with the added weight the mechanical flea no longer moves.

·
Registered
20,669 Posts
Hell fire, how much that sucker cost ? If not outrageously priced, its a one of the kind or one of many to come. Of course I have Beria's chopped TT33 carry pistol which has inscription reading " Better Red Than Dead". Not for sale.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,172 Posts
... Of course I have Beria's chopped TT33 carry pistol which has inscription reading " Better Red Than Dead". Not for sale.
LOL! Clearly it's a fake. Beria's "obrez" TT33 would have been inscribed "the younger, the better." Beria liked to cruise around Moscow, picking up (i.e. abducting) young girls and raping them.

·
Registered
20,669 Posts
LOL! Clearly it's a fake. Beria's "obrez" TT33 would have been inscribed "the younger, the better." Beria liked to cruise around Moscow, picking up (i.e. abducting) young girls and raping them.
Well that clears things up a lot ...my other chopped TT33 is chromed with that exact inscription ! I have both of Beria's pistols. Let me go check and be back after I confirm serial numbers, they may be a matching pair !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts