Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was back at the old home base for the holiday and decided to pull out my Italian collection that began about 15 months ago when the PW Arms haul came in from Italy.

L-R
-1917 Brescia M91TS with transverse bayonet lug but side mounted sling swivels
-1918 M91TS that's double marked with Brescia and N VC/B - an odd one!
-1918 M91/24 Terni (shoots a two foot circle that's five feet high at 100 yards)
-1928 M91/28 Terni (my favorite of the bunch!)
-1934 FNA civilian production with Italian Navy crest
-1894 Brescia Moschetto with lever lock
-1914 Brescia Moschetto with lever lock in a Tromboncino stock
-1918 Brescia with slide tab lock
-Not pictured is my 1941 FNA Moschetto with button lock that is currently across the country

I'm much more interested in the TS Carcanos and will hopefully finally achieve some sense of inner peace when I find Gardone VT, Beretta, MBT, and PL TS carbines, which is a tall ask. I should have jumped when I saw all of those on Axis Arms earlier this year! Live and learn I suppose

Wood Art Sculpture Auto part Metal

Musical instrument Wood Ammunition Gun accessory Bullet

Musical instrument Wood Gun accessory Font Metal

·
Gold Bullet member
12,301 Posts
Shell:

You have assembled a very nice group of carbines! 👍

Just a few more to go? Don’t kid yourself, the journey and task has only just begun. 😎

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
why were so many of them stripped of there original finish over the years?
I think it was more a matter of wore off than stripped off. These went from military use to police (or civil) and I think the level of care became random or luck of the next users (what ever they were called). I got one that looked like it was stored muzzle down on a damp concrete. Other lookd like they were refinished. No consistant pattern to treatment given this last batch of imports. Some of the older imports looks quite nice. The parts got mixed and matched. I actually dont know what these all are supposed to look like. They had a long production run. I find the variety interesting, although I am not a real collector.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,824 Posts
I like them. I know nothing about Italian firearms but it seems that the weaponry becoming available from what has to be described as a lesser collected martial/bellicose society should incur more interest than it does. It is possible to amass a decent grouping without breaking the bank but I suspect that will be changing. Good job. Keep it up.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
As Richard said, there is no "just a few more to go". Once you obtain the makers you're looking for you'll realize you need another maker, another year, another model, and then another variation of that model from that maker during that year.....

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
well when the #brs, on the stock's are very faint, and they are not in a well handled area, I would say that is an indication that the stock was sanded.. jmho.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I like them. I know nothing about Italian firearms but it seems that the weaponry becoming available from what has to be described as a lesser collected martial/bellicose society should incur more interest than it does. It is possible to amass a decent grouping without breaking the bank but I suspect that will be changing. Good job. Keep it up.
YUP, I missed the boat on Mosin and never appeciated the Arisaka. Probably was sleeping (or working long hours and still searching for Miss Right) during the great import years of the 1980's. Also kind of an ignorant snob regarding milsurps in general. Then these Carcanos appear from no where in an amazing variety and adjusted for inflation at a pretty fair price. I have mixed feelings, some days I wish I got more and other days, I wonder if a Artillery Luger might have been a better way to go?

One odd thing I noticed and this maybe part of the gun hysteria or demand driven - locally I could find a Carcano for $100 or $150 bucks. I am talking 2020, early 2021. Now, they are more like $400-500. Is there more interest? I dont follow Gun Broker. And keep in mind $350 on GB is more like $425 in hand.

I do believe the shooting performance and varying idiosyncrasies in barrel and bullets has held these guns back. And will continue. The exact opposite of my Swedish Mauser experience.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,680 Posts
why were so many of them stripped of there original finish over the years?
They had very little "finish" to begin with; open grain is the norm with a minimal application of oil.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,174 Posts
Dick Hobbs was an acquaintance of mine these many decades. His Book (The Carcano - Italy's Military Rifle) is s a good reference on these if you can find a copy. I believe he would call more than one "carcani". It is also interesting how these have garnered such sudden interest from such long term oblivion. I still have a dozen or so in storage and pleased to see value have risen by 400% or more.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,780 Posts
I was told by a very good friend of mine in Italy that you do not refer to any last name in the 'i' form when refereeing to the plural such as Carcani, it would be Carano's, they do use the 'i' form in non-person such as metri (meters).

Patrick

·
Gold Bullet member
12,301 Posts
I was told by a very good friend of mine in Italy that you do not refer to any last name in the 'i' form when refereeing to the plural such as Carcani, it would be Carano's, they do use the 'i' form in non-person such as metri (meters).

Patrick
I believe that the plural of Carcano would be Carcanos, without the apostrophe.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,780 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
12,301 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts