Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone back at it again. I was digging around and found an old yugo sks receiver and a barreled action stub. I remembered i bought em a long time ago but lost interest. I started stripping the barrel of its goodies. Nothing i did worked on unscrewing the bloody thing even a pipe wrench. So i plan on getting a barrel from copes. My old barrel is a chinese one but im pretty sure the Fsb and stuff will fit with a dremels help. I know the new barrels have no wrench marks, no gas port, and no extractor cut. Can anyone help me out with info on these. The wrench marks are no problem just would like to know because one will need cutting for the recoil plate.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a pressed and pinned barrel instead of a threaded barrel? SKS' were made both ways.
IF you look under the sight and see the barrel go straight into the receiver, it's pressed and pinned. If there is a collar with two flats on it, the barrel is threaded.
Pressed barrels have to have the pin pushed out then the barrel pulled or pushed out of the receiver.

Here's a link that has some good photos to illistrate the threaded vice pressed barrels.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=60637.0

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its the threaded one. Im thinking for the extractor cut i can use a dremel, headspace gauges, and be careful. Ive already read on another in that forum that for every 2-1/2 inches of barrel shortening the gas port needs to be opened by .5mm. Which i plan on cutting it down to a more comfortable length.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.