Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can see these things are going to start multiplying like rabbits - or Finn Mosins in my case.

I picked this up locally on Sunday. Thought it was a pretty straightforward 1918 version as advertised. Now I am not so sure. On the top flat of the barrel shank it is stamped "MIDA" and under that "Brescia".

So far so good.

However the date looks to me like an overstamp, or perhaps a false strike on the first attempt? I see no manufacture date under it like my other one (a 1920 that was actually made in 1915.) Was this one redone during or after WWI using an earlier receiver, etc.?

I will let the photos tell the rest of the story. Any insights would be appreciated while I am waiting on my boos to be delivered.

Thanks, Doby

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,539 Posts
To tell if it's a replacement barrel, could you post the letter prefix to the serial number? Don't need the entire number. Everything on the bottom of the receiver are assembly numbers.

Mida is a good grab! Not that many remain from the 129,000 made. The extremely good grab is a 1916 with MIDA only - no Brescia. Only a few hundred of those made. I sent a PM relating to another scarce M91. SW

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't mind posting serial numbers, SW. It is I7267. The number on the stock is different on this one though. It is GH9701. The large oval cartouche is too worn to make out. I didn't get any PMs from you that I can see.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see a star but I definitely think it was refurbed. Oh well, these don't come up often locally so I am glad to get it. My third one is on the way now. it's a little Finn marked '38 Carbine. I'm sure I'll have questions about it too. It's kind of a neat transition model between my Carcanos and my Finn Mosins, lol. Now that I have three (so far), I can start calling it a collection, haha!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.