Gunboards Forums banner

My SAMCO EX-sniper arrived !!! PICTURES JUST ADDED

3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  66rdster 
#1 · (Edited)
I had mentioned in a prior thread that I had ordered an ex-sniper from SAMCO. I received a number of PMs asking me to give my impression about the SAMCO ex-sniper when it arrived. It arrived last evening. Well all I can say is I am very pleased. The bore is bright and shiny, bluing is excellent. The receiver has two posts in place along with two tapped screw holes both open. All numbers but the bolt match (nothing ep'ed) and the furniture has character with lots of cartouches and inspection stamps. All I can say is don't hesitate to order one if you are on the fence. I will probably post pictures this weekend.

Meant to add it is a '44 Izhevsh with number on the barrel base.

#4 ·
Way good!

I have a Samco M1D, bought in the mid 80s. It came with scope mount, and cone flash hider. For years I used it to shoot milk jugs way out there. A really great rifle. I'm glad yours is good, and would like to see pictures. Congratulations!

#7 ·
The real deal!

Thats great William, sounds like you got a nice one. The history and uniqueness of these snipers cannot be denied. They were, and are, excellent examples of "Snipers Rifles of the Red Star", (Thanks Vic) and we can own one, and shoot it, and preserve it for collectors of the future to enjoy. These are truely some of the good old days, of Mosin collecting!

#8 ·
Well, after hearing about the ex-sniper William recieved I had to call Samco and order one for myself. Hopefully it will be just as nice. I can't wait to see it.

Oh, and Duane, Abda says hello.

Thanks again William. I appreciate you taking the time to share your impression of your new gun. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

Mike

#9 ·
Good to mention Duane's name!

Mike

You did the right thing by mentioning Duane's name. I have to admit it I aso used Duane's name when calling Abda. What can I say - It obviously worked.

Duane - forgot to tell you - Abda also said hello to you when I called.

I just received my PU scope today that I bought from another board member. I will order the scope mount and base from John tomorrow and I will be all set. Yippee!

William

#10 ·
You guys are just having too much fun!

Abda, at Samco, has helped me get several very nice, rare rifles. Starting with my scopeless PU sniper, I had ordered a "select" grade, as I didn't want to pay the extra money for the top grade. She had the boys in the shipping dept pick out a beauty, wilth a sweet trigger and perfect bore. Then, later, I decided to trust her with my order for a Swedish M41b sniper. When I called her, she said, We have a very nice one for you. Nice does not describe what I received. A pristine, unused since last refurb sniper rifle, with 98% finish on metal and a perfect stock. Then later I called her and asked if they had any 1944 Swede M38 Husqvarna rifles. Never thinking for a moment that they would. (They are very scarce) Her answer was yes we have one! Seems that it had a matching straight bolt, most all Husqvarna M38s have bent bolts, and it had not sold. This one was near perfect, wood and metal, and the straight bolt is stamped matching, either it was built with it, or a arsenal replacement. Needless to say, Abda is a good friend to have!

#11 ·
Hi all!

New to this part of the forum, but does anybody know if they still have them in stock? Also any ideas of a price they have them going for? I bought one of the SOG reproduction rifles a while back and decided to send it back and try to build a rifle from an actual ex-sniper.

Here are some pictures of the 1942 fake I had so you can see what it looked like....maybe somebody here has it now :( Bummer was the scope was original.

Stinkyrat

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks - not bad for the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Imagine what the top of the barrel had when they first arrived. Just ordered John's (Accumount) scope mount and base. I should have the puppy together sometime next week. I had a picture of my PU scope along with this rifle but somehow it did not get posted.

#17 · (Edited)
Mike -

Thanks - also let me know how yours is when it arrives. I assume you talked to Abda - she has been very helpful on all my orders.

I took the rifle completely apart and cleaned it. Just had a tiny bit of cosmoline in the crevices. I also used a number of coats of bees wax and orange oil on the stock. Each time I clean the stock it improves the existing patina. I also took the bolt completely apart. I usually don't remove the firing pin but it is pretty easy. I soaked all the parks in simple green. By doing that the trigger actually became really good. Absolutely no creep. I am also thinking about using a shim to reduce let off. There's an article on how to do it on one of the sites. Pretty easy and reversible. Here's the link:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/mosinnaganttrigger/index.asp

William

#20 · (Edited)
Yes these are real snipers - you should do a thread search on the words "SAMCO" or "MARCUS". Marcus has written extensively on these rifles. When I ordered I asked Abda that my only criteria for a rifle was a good bore. She came through - I could not have picked a better one if I did it myself. I intend to shoot the rifle and I knew that the bore condition generaly correlated to the accuracy of a rifle.

All my numbers but the that of the bolt match. I knew that the bolt would not match. If you were lucky enough to order early enough then I understand everything matched.

Good luck!

#19 ·
I was a little dissappointed in mine. No #'s matched and the bore was dirty as hell and to the point where it looked like pitting, but an hour a later an a hell of a lot of bore scrubbing it came clean. They took for ever to ship it too. I do need another one and am hoping that they will provide me with a better one.

#21 ·
Hi whbonney26,
Yep, these are the real deal with the bent bolt and the stock cut for the scope mount. The holes for the scope mount are still open too.

Hi William,
I talked to Abda also. She was very helpful. The bees wax and orange oil sounds interesting. I've never used that. Is it something you mix yourself? I've used Finn 1/3 gunstock wax mix before and like it a lot. I'll have to give the bees wax/orange oil mix a try. Let me know how the shim works out. I've seen the article but haven't tried that trick yet.
I'll let you know when mine arrives and post some pics also. I already have an original scope and mount for it, so I should be able to get it back in shape pretty easily. I also ordered one of Century's ex-snipers to see what its like. They have the original bent bolt and sniper stock but the mount holes have been plugged. I'm sure its not as nice as the Samco guns but at half the price I felt I couldn't go wrong. If you happen across another original scope let me know. I've been trying to find one for the Century.

Talk to you later,
Mike

#22 ·
Wax

Mike -

I actually use a commercial product called Howard Feed-N-Wax. I have seen it at Ace hardware stores. When I purchased a Cooper rifle a few years ago the seller gave me a bottle. However, when this runs out I will be trying Tom's 1/3 mix which people swear by. It is highly recommended on the boards here and I think if you do a search on "Tom's 1/3 mix" you'll find it and can see the good things people have to say. I have his site book marked and here is the link:

http://www.thegunstockdoctor.com/

This reminds me I will probably order some this week as I am almost out of the other stuff. It really revitalizes the wood as long as it is not sealed. Great on oil finishes. For the most part the SAMCO stock was not sealed - seemed almost like an oil finish. Some hints here and there that there may have been something like a shellac on it around the hand guard but 99.9% gone.

William

#23 ·
Hi William,
Tom's is what I use. Great stuff. You won't be disappointed, I think you'll like it a lot. You may also want to try Tom's stock cleaning mix. The recipe is posted on his web site. He was going to market it but the shipping would be too difficult (because of the ingredients) so he provides the recipe.

Mike

#24 · (Edited)
Finally Arrived

After seeing Williams Samco I had to order one too. I thought I'd add it to the thread. It came in last Weds and I cleaned it up and mounted the scope over the weekend. Its a 44 Izhevsk. If your thinking about one of these it looks like they still have some nice ones. Mine turned out to be all matching except the bolt. Blue is very nice and the bore and muzzle look excellent. The wood has a few nicks and dings, but nothing major at all. Overall a great gun. I couldn't be happier. Here are a few pics. Please excuse my photography skills.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.