Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Hi whbonney26,
Yep, these are the real deal with the bent bolt and the stock cut for the scope mount. The holes for the scope mount are still open too.

Hi William,
I talked to Abda also. She was very helpful. The bees wax and orange oil sounds interesting. I've never used that. Is it something you mix yourself? I've used Finn 1/3 gunstock wax mix before and like it a lot. I'll have to give the bees wax/orange oil mix a try. Let me know how the shim works out. I've seen the article but haven't tried that trick yet.
I'll let you know when mine arrives and post some pics also. I already have an original scope and mount for it, so I should be able to get it back in shape pretty easily. I also ordered one of Century's ex-snipers to see what its like. They have the original bent bolt and sniper stock but the mount holes have been plugged. I'm sure its not as nice as the Samco guns but at half the price I felt I couldn't go wrong. If you happen across another original scope let me know. I've been trying to find one for the Century.

Talk to you later,
Mike

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Wax

Mike -

I actually use a commercial product called Howard Feed-N-Wax. I have seen it at Ace hardware stores. When I purchased a Cooper rifle a few years ago the seller gave me a bottle. However, when this runs out I will be trying Tom's 1/3 mix which people swear by. It is highly recommended on the boards here and I think if you do a search on "Tom's 1/3 mix" you'll find it and can see the good things people have to say. I have his site book marked and here is the link:

http://www.thegunstockdoctor.com/

This reminds me I will probably order some this week as I am almost out of the other stuff. It really revitalizes the wood as long as it is not sealed. Great on oil finishes. For the most part the SAMCO stock was not sealed - seemed almost like an oil finish. Some hints here and there that there may have been something like a shellac on it around the hand guard but 99.9% gone.

William

Hi William,
Tom's is what I use. Great stuff. You won't be disappointed, I think you'll like it a lot. You may also want to try Tom's stock cleaning mix. The recipe is posted on his web site. He was going to market it but the shipping would be too difficult (because of the ingredients) so he provides the recipe.

Mike

Finally Arrived

After seeing Williams Samco I had to order one too. I thought I'd add it to the thread. It came in last Weds and I cleaned it up and mounted the scope over the weekend. Its a 44 Izhevsk. If your thinking about one of these it looks like they still have some nice ones. Mine turned out to be all matching except the bolt. Blue is very nice and the bore and muzzle look excellent. The wood has a few nicks and dings, but nothing major at all. Overall a great gun. I couldn't be happier. Here are a few pics. Please excuse my photography skills.

Mike

Thanks Jay. The scope, mount and base are originals. When a board member put it up for sale I was lucky enough to be able to get it.

Hey William. Twins eh!! I was thinking the same thing. They really do look alike. I don't know, I was told the snipers can be addictive. I guess its true. HaHa

Hi Meinander. Yes that is a BP-124 stamp on the butt stock. The metal on the handguard appears to be blued steel. Although it is wearing a bit thin. Man, a 42!!! That is sweet and a 44 on top of that.

Mike

Discussion starter · #30 · (Edited)
scope base fit question

Mike -

When you mounted the scope did it appear centered over the bore line. Mine seems to be a bit offset and I was thinking of filing down the scope base (not mount) to get a tighter fit at the top of the scope base and receiver. The base bottom is flush with the receiver but there appears to be a slight space at the top of the base and receiver. I compared this to my other scoped sniper that came all together and both the bottom of the base and top of the base are tight against the receiver. Just wondering how yours is and if you had to do any filing of the base for a snug fit. I should add that I am using and accumount base.

Thanks,

William

Hi William,
It visually appears that the scope is centered over the bore. I just took a look and the base has a tight fit against the receiver, both top and bottom. The only fitting I had to do was a bit of filing on the rear pin to get it to fit on the base properly. It seemed the pins in the receiver where spaced a couple of thousandths wider than the holes in my base. Otherwise, it went on without any problem.

I think filing the base as you said would be a good way to go. I think thats what I'd would do in that situation. I believe it will give the base a tighter fit to the receiver and it should get the scope more centered to the bore also. It might be worth checking with some of the guys with more experience on these things to get their thoughts on it.

Mike

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.