Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally arrived and I had a sunny day to boot! So, thought I would share some pictures of my latest acquisition, a 1937-dated Tula m91/30. This one saw service in the Spanish Civil War (SCW) and suggested by the "Made in USSR" stamp on the receiver.

This rifle has all Tula parts, an original patinated finish on the metal, and a "Tula star over 1937" stock cartouche. With the exception of a NEW ("arrow E") bolt body and the thick sling wire hangers typical of SCW rifles, I suspect this rifle appears exactly as it did when it left the arsenal some 70 years ago. I have not had a chance to take her to the range yet, but if she shoots half as well as she looks, I think I have a "keeper" on my hands!

Tim

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Awesome Tim!! That is a really cool mosin! You done good.

About the finish...I've read that these SCW mosins have been found to have had some light sanding done to them. IIRC, it is believed that this was done in Spain. In other words, there are some that believe that these were refinished by the Spanish forces. That might be a monkey wrench in your thoughts about the stock finish. Someone will probably chime in on this if I have this wrong.

Whether that is an original manufacture finish or not, that is a great mosin!

T

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Russian (cold) and Spanish (hot) has always seemed like an interesting combination for a "lady". Looks like you got a nice one. Hope she behaves for you on the range.

If not, slap her on the butt a couple times and then work the bolt!

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
One of the features of SCW rifles is the "sanded to death" look. Not solely an identifying feature, but when combined with others, is good evidence that it was done by the Spanish.

Yours is definately far from the worst that I have seen.

·
Diamond Member
5,764 Posts
Tim, Congratulations! Very similar to my '37 Tula SCW...all Tula parts with a mis matched all Tula bolt ( Not NEW like yours), wire hangers, condition of wood finish, etc. It is one of my favorites. Rifle ser# 10,807 bolt ser#144,904. Denny

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
Tim that is one nice looking rifle. I like the sling a lot! Was that on it when you got it? I have one of those very similar that came on my SVT believe it or not. If I am remembering right I also have a similar one on the type 53 Chicom Mosin too! Nice rifle for sure and I hope she shoots good too! Bill

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome Tim!! That is a really cool mosin! You done good.

Whether that is an original manufacture finish or not, that is a great mosin!

T
This issue of shellac vs. oil finsh has me intrigued/bugged. I came across a reference by "Cabinetman" about a test you can do with denatured alcohol. Apparently, you can place a small spot of denatured alcohol (in an inconspicuous place) on the stock and in a few seconds, if the spot becomes tacky, the stock has a shellac finish.

Given the appearance of this stock, which is kind of hard to tell from the photos, I am wondering whether this may have a shellac finish as you can actually see faint brushstroke patterns in the color. Or, maybe it is just my imagination.

I'll report back what I discover.

Tim

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the features of SCW rifles is the "sanded to death" look. Not solely an identifying feature, but when combined with others, is good evidence that it was done by the Spanish.

Yours is definately far from the worst that I have seen.
I too have heard that SWC rifles were supposed to have been sanded. If this rifle was sanded though, I suspect it was done very very gently as the finger grooves still have a relatively high and sharp perimeter edge. And more convincingly, the Tula Star cartouche is still quite prominent and nicely struck for a 70-year old stock that supposedly was sanded.

Tim

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tim that is one nice looking rifle. I like the sling a lot! Was that on it when you got it? I have one of those very similar that came on my SVT believe it or not. If I am remembering right I also have a similar one on the type 53 Chicom Mosin too! Nice rifle for sure and I hope she shoots good too! Bill
Bill,

Yes, the sling is pretty neat and it did come with the rifle. It looks like it has been with the rifle for along time though hopefully AlamoCity will chime in since he is the fellow boardmember from whom I bought this beauty!

What say you AlamoCity, was this sling on the rifle when you acquired it or was it sling-less and you added this one? Inquiring minds want to know, ha, ha, ha.

Tim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did the Spaniards sand their mausers as well?

Great rifle! Is the heavy sanding something the Spanish arsenals often did to all their SCW vintage rifles (German/Polish mausers etc.) ?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Tim,

We talked about this rifle before you bought it, but it wasn't mine. And I gotta tell you, brother, if it had been my rifle, I wouldn't have sold it!! ;) It would still be sittin pretty in my gunroom, making all my other punk**s mosins jealous!!

T

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
This issue of shellac vs. oil finsh has me intrigued/bugged. I came across a reference by "Cabinetman" about a test you can do with denatured alcohol. Apparently, you can place a small spot of denatured alcohol (in an inconspicuous place) on the stock and in a few seconds, if the spot becomes tacky, the stock has a shellac finish.

Given the appearance of this stock, which is kind of hard to tell from the photos, I am wondering whether this may have a shellac finish as you can actually see faint brushstroke patterns in the color. Or, maybe it is just my imagination.

I'll report back what I discover.

Tim
Tim
The Russians then Soviets used shellac. This is clear and is what they have stated to me in the past. If you look at most Finn captured guns - not reworked - they show shellac. My factory pattern rifle - untouched since 1899 - also has shellac. No doubt at all they used it. Most rifles we see today have been reworked or issued in other nations so the finish seen is not (at least in many cases) what was used when the rifle was first made. Shellac was a common - cheap - and if applied correctly a strong finish.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Very, very nice rifle, I love my SCW Mosin. Like alot of the Finns, these have an almost guaranteed combat pedigree.
Poot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts