Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Banned
9,286 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing a stamp just like it, but there are many esoteric refurb markings on Mosins, and you just never know what will turn up. Industrial processes tend to have confirmation marks/inspector's marks attached to them, but the meaning of most of these marks from decades ago is probably forever lost to history.

I have a '43 Tula undrilled CH, and it's a great shooter. There's a lot of conjecture about why some Tulas were marked as snipers and never drilled, but I don't think anyone knows conclusively why it happened.

Welcome to the forum.

· Banned
9,286 Posts
The receiver is dated 1942 so it's an original receiver. Pics of entire rifle will be up soon.
It's very common for '43 Tulas (both PUs and regular infantry rifles) to be built on Izhevsk receivers, so in a way, even a predated Izhevsk receiver can be "original" to them. I don't know if it's common on '42 Tulas or not, as I really haven't seen many '42s. My '43 CH is built on a '42 Izhevsk receiver.

· Banned
9,286 Posts
It's not jut post-war refurbs. This one is Finn'ed.
I was referring to the "1", not the CH, although I only recall seeing one other Finned "accuracy rifle Tula". Cool rifle!

I've seen a 42 Tula, that had the "CH" mark that I also thought was undrilled.
Once I looked at some (for lack of a better term) "speckles" in the metal right where the holes would be drilled for a PU mount I concluded that it had indeed be drillled, then later welded up later at refurb.
I needed good light and a magnifing glass to see it, the rework was so good.
So you might want to take a closer look.
Is the bore in good shape? Perhaps the "1" means it was top notch?
Did the rifle you mentioned not show bolt holes/ends on the inside of the receiver? Tula, unlike Izhevsk, used blind holes for locator pins, but they used through holes for the mounting bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.