Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I got this Papa Nambu and holster about a month ago from a local vet who brought it back from Okinawa in June of 1945. He said that the Japanese officer who had it personally surrendered it to him after he was captured. It's in amazingly good condition too! The numbers all match, except for the magazine. Unfortunately the holster is for a Type 14, but I'm told that it was common for Papas to be found with these. Hey, I'm not complaining! Anyway, please share your thoughts on this pistol and it's value. I'm thinking of taking it to the JAG Military Show in Louisville, KY in June to see what I can trade it for. I really like it, but I'm not much into Japanese firearms. With how rare these are, this one might just stay in my collection anyway! Thanks for looking!

FOX

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Very nice pistol! Papas are usually pretty pitted.
The Japanese made replacement holsters for the T-26 revolver as well as for the Baby Nambu but none have been seen for the Papa. This is probably because the T-14 holster will work for it as your example shows

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Nice Papa. I'd hang on to it. And, get all the history you can, if the vet is still alive. Cash in on it, in ten years or so.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Nice example and thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arisakadogs, there are some Kanji markings inside the clam shell, but they are so worn and I cannot make them out. I will post some pictures later after I get them off my camera.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

FOX

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Looks like it is Showa 17 dated to me.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,290 Posts
I concur with T-14's 1942 date. Neat pistol.
Man, that is one dark colored holster. Wrong color polish later or???????????
Look at the middle photo. On the left side you can see what appears to be spillage of liquid black shoe polish onto the inside of lid. Left photo shows apparant transparency of black color to original color beneath in at least one location.

Wonder what the "star" is on the appendage cover. That's very interesting!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Look at the middle photo. On the left side you can see what appears to be spillage of liquid black shoe polish onto the inside of lid. Left photo shows apparant transparency of black color to original color beneath in at least one location.

I see what you are saying, Fred. I think the darker polish is a later "addition" for what ever reason. The stamped star is rather neat though!

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Showa 17 is 1942. Have to agree, that black liquid shoe polish was likely added later on and I do like that star mark. Have seen the star mark on the inside lid of a number of holsters but don't believe anyone has figured out which company or arsenal used it. As for polish on holsters, I recently picked up a holster where someone had applied that old liquid brown shoe polish with those round applicators. You can even see the swill marks in the polish.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The holster is interesting having been polished black. I'll have to ask the vet about that! I really like the way it looks though, and it just adds to it's history. He's got another Papa that he brought back at the same time, but this one's not nearly as nice. It's got quite a story behind it from what I understand, which is why he is hanging on to it. He hasn't told me the whole story, but he did tell me that it killed two of his friends on Okinawa. I told him that if he ever decides to get rid of it, that I will buy it from him and that it would never leave my collection. He said that he will probably end up letting go of it, but to give him some time. I can understand that it holds a very memorable part of his past. Anyway, thanks again for all the comments and information!

FOX

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Fred, I've seen these stars on a number of holsters over the years. Either on the ammo pouch flap or on the belt loop.

Damn, it's a 17 date for sure. I've usually seen black painted steel hardware on holsters with that date. Oh well, I ain't afraid to be wrong ;)

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
get the story in writing, have the vet sign it with his contact info. It will add a couple of hundred to the value of the pistol. My WAG for the value of the Papa/holster/story is around $3k +/-. If I were selling it I'd ask $3295 then get "beaten down" to $3K.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.