Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up at a local gunshow last month. As Fushigi Ojisan pointed out in a previous post, it is a Sears version of a Savage. The closest commercial model I have found is the Savage 416-2. There were U.S. Property marked versions, but mine is the plain vanilla Sears model.
The bolt is interesting in that to take the bolt out, the trigger is depressed, which is normal, but then the bolt drops into the channel under the rear sight and comes out without having to take the rear sight off.
I took it to the range for the first time yesterday and it seemed to do well with the Aquila match ammo, putting 10 rounds into an inch. The Wolf match extra also did well, but I only had 5 rounds, so will have to take it out again and try some more of it.

Tom

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Spanner, I collect 22's and have lots of models coming from numerous origines, many are expensive, many have a history behind them, many were tuned for competition, after saying this I affirm that the rifle with the best locking time in my inventory is the Ranger, similar to the one you show-It may be a "Sears plain vanilla" but the ease with you can put the shots in a small circle is simply amazing.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
shari, now that I see your picture I realize that in my Ranger the front band is also missing, can you post a morde detailed pic of the ft band??-tks

·
Silver Bullet member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My rifle has no provision for a front band.
BTW, I took it out again today and shot it with an assortment of ammo. It seemed to do best with the Federal Champion Target 510 with groups about 3/4 in. Ammo grouping about an inch was Wolf match extra, Aguila Golden Eagle, and CCI Mini Mag. Some CMP bulk ammo (white box/325 per box) did about as well as most except for the Fed 510.

Tom

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Shari, tks for the info ,I've made my bid and hope to get the piece.After bidding I saw Spanner's reply and I'm in doubt , the rifle is in my summer house and do not remember if it has the provision for the front band-

·
Registered
783 Posts
Ranger:

Ranger was the house brand for the T. EATON's Department Store in Canada.
They are long out of business but were a Canadian icon for almost a century. The damned kids ran the business into bankruptcy with extravagant tastes and unlimited spending. I can hear old Timothy spinning in his grave now. Eaton's was the original mail order catalogue company in Canada and many an outhouse had the Eaton's catalogue for reading and "paper work" after "the job" was finished. One who knows!!!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
my dad's Ranger 22

Had to add to this thread, my father's Ranger must have been one of the first "edition". Ad is from Sear's 1935 catalogue, and the time frame is about the same for when my father was 12. $6.98 most likely was quite a bit of money for my grandmother to come up with during the depression. Father earned the "Sharpshooter" medal from the Marines during WW2, so his Ranger served him well!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Spanner, I need help!!!, went to the gun locker and the peep sight is broken and a part lost, I need the model and make of the peep sight in your rifle, which is exactly like mine-Pls have a look and post what you find-Tks Raul

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ranger .22

Besides the obvious quality of sights and rifle;it appears to have Unertl scope blocks installed. I believe you found a prize.
Gunsel
I picked this up at a local gunshow last month. As Fushigi Ojisan pointed out in a previous post, it is a Sears version of a Savage. The closest commercial model I have found is the Savage 416-2. There were U.S. Property marked versions, but mine is the plain vanilla Sears model.
The bolt is interesting in that to take the bolt out, the trigger is depressed, which is normal, but then the bolt drops into the channel under the rear sight and comes out without having to take the rear sight off.
I took it to the range for the first time yesterday and it seemed to do well with the Aquila match ammo, putting 10 rounds into an inch. The Wolf match extra also did well, but I only had 5 rounds, so will have to take it out again and try some more of it.

Tom

·
Gold Bullet member
2,597 Posts
Gunsel, all of the Ragers I've seen, well they were not many, just four, had the Unertl blocks installed, evidently it was a base the manufacturer included; its odd though, because the rifle was an unexpensive piece and the Unertl type of scopes were always a pricey item-

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you look at a savage 416 the stock does not have the front band. It looks like the one pictured. I have two rangers one all original and one highly modified. The original one has the scope mounts the modified one had the mounts but they were removed the holes are still present. The modified gun has had the barrel tapered and is in a very nice stock. It has claw mounts added and it looks very european. Both rifles are very nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ranger 416

i have a ranger 416 and someone modified the stock. they installed a monte carlo cheek piece into the stock. i am looking for replacement stock for my ranger 416. this one has the front band on the stock. any one know where i can get a replacement stock?

thanks
randy

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
A friend of mine has the Ranger version of the Stevens 416. It's his favorite 22Lr, and he has quite a few of them!

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have a ranger 416 and someone modified the stock. they installed a monte carlo cheek piece into the stock. i am looking for replacement stock for my ranger 416. this one has the front band on the stock. any one know where i can get a replacement stock?

thanks
randy
Randy,
Reese Surplus has them listed on their site for $25.00.
Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts