Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have mixed emotions about the sniper I received. Its all matching (no prefexes), with VG super shiney bore, and blueing and stock are like new. It seems to be a rebuild, metal and wood. Bbl shank has the crossed hammers, and stock is a new refurb with the box and slash cartouche. Parts are mixed, Tula and Izhevsk. Scope mount and scope obviously have been replaced at rebuild, as they show quite a bit more wear than the rest of the rifle. Original scope number on the bbl shank (A3205) has been overstamped with the number of the new scope. An interesting thing is the scope caps leather strap is thru the hole of the mount, and it's been that way a long long time! Ive only seen this on newly made repro scopes, but here it is on an original! Bolt handle is a really poorly done one, but just like other originals I have seen. They are not all picture perfectly done, Ivan probably got sloppy after his 2,500th bolt for the day! Trigger pull is heavy but acceptable. All in all, a beautiful rifle, definatly worth the price. I was kinda hoping to get one with an original stock, but thats the way the mop flops! Thanks, Roger, and the guys at R Guns! Edit.... Just noticed the crossed hammer stamping on the stock also!

·
Silver Bullet member
187 Posts
capnduane

An excellent looking sniper. After it is cleaned up and taken to range it will be like and old friend. If I only had the money. Good luck with your new friend.
Bob

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sniper socks?

I'm thinkin the sniper probably matched his socks to what ever he was wearing for the day? Then again he was probably like most of us and really couldn't give a dam!

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
I know I can't wait to get mine. Are the Tula's more "uncommon" than the Izhevsk snipers?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congratulations Duane. I new you'd get it one of these days. Nice looking 43. I know you can't wait to shoot it. Post some more pics when you get a chance.

Mike

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tula snipers

Voland, just had to have a little fun with your post! As far as I have seen, most Mosin snipers have the same color variations as standard rifles. I don't believe there were any special colors for snipers. Mine has the very common red color just like many refurb 91/30 rifles I have. Sean, the PU snipers have there own ranking as to scarcity, And it goes something like this: The '47 Izhevsk pu is the least common, going down the ranking in order would be 42 Tula, 42 Izhevsk, 43 Tula, 44 Tula, 44 Izhevsk, and the most common would be the 43 Izhevsk. We are seeing more Tula snipers lately, because of the R Guns imports. But some of the Izhevsks from them are in incredible condition, so its a tough choice as which to get. Should get one of each, I guess, about the same bucks as one M41b!

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
That m/41B's aren't that expensive yet. I was saving for one of those, but this intervened. Shucks!!!:D

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good investment.

Sean, I think you have made a good decision to buy one of these. They can be real shooters also. And, they are bonafide WW2 snipers. Used, abused, and put back into front line shape ready to defend the Motherland against all invaders!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Crossed hammers

Number 6, Page 237, Band2, of Drei Linien Die Gewehre Mosin-Nagant, by Karl-Heinz Wrobel lists the crossed hammers mark as of Albanian origin. It is now thought to be a mark of one of the refurb facilities. The interesting thing about these crossed hammer markings, is that , on my sniper, they tie the barreled action to the stock, as both have the marking. I have a few other snipers with this marking also.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
They were NOT in Albania. As I stated these were police guns after the war at least that is what my contacts overseas state on the matter. I can not state it 100% as fact but I feel comfortable with passing the info along - which means I am pretty sure it is correct.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
They were NOT in Albania. As I stated these were police guns after the war at least that is what my contacts overseas state on the matter. I can not state it 100% as fact but I feel comfortable with passing the info along - which means I am pretty sure it is correct.
So that means a military and a police history - makes these rather interesting to say the least. A real sniper that saw a lot of duty having two service lives. Nice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to learn more. Thats nice that you have the same mark on the barrel and stock. I does tie the two together. I have a couple interesting marks on mine. No crossed hammers though. I'll have to post some pics and see if anyone knows what the meaning is.

Is Drei Linien Die Gewehre Mosin-Nagant by Karl-Heinz Wrobel still available? Sounds like a good book. I'll have to look for a copy.

Mike

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Crossed hammers

Mike, Heres a couple of pics of the crossed hammers on my sniper. Not that good of pics, but I think you can see what they are. The circle they are in is about 1/8in diameter, and the hammers are about 1/16in long. "Drei Linien" is a great set of books, but they are in German...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts