Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up at a gun show this weekend. Now all I need is a '43 ex-sniper. The scope and mount are original, but the base is aluminum and looks as if it should get ground flat to mate to the receiver. It came with papers, lens covers, scope cover, cleaning cloth, and screws/pins $275.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,376 Posts
Nice find on the scope and mount and accessories. The aluminum bases are pretty lame. You need to obtain a steel base if you want to restoire a ex-sniper and have a nice set up. The rear of the base has two rails that sit on the countour of the receiver. This is true of the steel or aluminum bases.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,521 Posts
Aluminum base

The aluminum bases have a reputation for breaking, causing the scope to seperate from the rifle. It is not worth the risk, best to see if you can find a steel base.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I picked up a '43 ex-sniper easily enough. Right now I'm figuring on drilling and tapping the aluminum base I already have as long as it matches up with the plugs. If I do notice it breaking I can switch out the base for something a bit more durable.

How common are the breaks in the aluminum bases? With all the repro snipers coming out with aluminum bases I would think there would be more reports of these busting.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bases

FWIW - I'd definitely urge you to not waste time mucking about with the aluminum baseplate, get a good steel repro from "Accumounts". You won't regret it!

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,376 Posts
The aluminum base is not the same spec and spacing as the steel. One you drill/tap for that you are pretty much stuck with it as a steel base will not match up to the screw and pin locations. At least that was my experience in trying to "fix" an aluminum base PU rifle. Not a good choice IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts