Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up in 1975. From what I see on the boards and aution sites, I was wise to keep it. Note the overstamp from 4 to 7 on safety and bolt to match serial # on reciever. Has anyone ever seen a correction like this? Floor plate eagle 135, barrel waa 823, bnz 1 in shield. Mod 98 on left side reciever. Can't seem to find any stock proofs. Did this year sport any?

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
I've seen the serial on the bolt have the same numbers as the receiver but garbled up like the guy doing the stamping was dislexic.
Ask mrfarb for pictures, I SOLD it to him!
BTW, that sight hood ROCKS!

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's WaA623 not 823. Sight hood is the U shaped on there and not the Steyr rounded hood. The "correction" on the safety from 4 to 7 makes me nervous. I haven't seen or heard of a German correction like that.

·
Copper Bullet member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added the hood. Not being a mauser guy, I've learned something new today. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Note the "8" and the"5" are of smaller font on the rec. and f.plate than on the bolt root and safety.Also notice what appears to be some machine mark dropout below the number on the safety.Re-numbered bolt,sorry.A closer shot of the bolt handle root(it and the shroud# are washed out by light) would confirm more.

·
Registered
285 Posts
At this point it's clear the bolt is renumbered. My best guess is the rifle is an RC that escaped the typical Russianization and parts were found for it and numbered/renumbered.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
The "correction" on the safety from 4 to 7 makes me nervous. I haven't seen or heard of a German correction like that.
I have seen corrections like this. Earliest I have seen is on a 34 date Banner. A correction per se does not make me nervous. Better pics would help here....hate to condem something based on fuzzy pics....but the bolt numbers do look a bit dogy at first glance

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,698 Posts
Like Bill I am not so quick to say the bolt is renumbered based on the pictures. BNZ bolts are notoriously sloppy and this one is. The overstamp actually makes me fell better, because the 4 is clearly a Steyr font.

Your sight hood is VERY hard to find- it's for a VG1 Volksgeweher. I would find a good original 98k hood and sell that one off to a VG collector- plenty of VG rifles looking for hoods.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I may be wrong but I am pretty sure this rifle has a rune on the receiver. Take a close look between BNZ and the 4. Can you verify this Gabemojay? If it is indeed an original, that would make it a great deal more valuable i would think.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The top of the bolt shroud is polised clean and has shallow strikes due to the post-heat treated metal being too hard,and the number stamps bounced. Yea,it's a single rune,I saw that off the bat,IF that's not humped,it's probably the reason somebody went to the trouble to match the bolt,turn a $500 gun into a $1200 one in a few minutes. The font on the f.plate and receiver look TOO factory(look at the 8&5)to be humped,compared to the bolt numbers. I think it's a bolt m/m only- bring back due to the f.plate font matching the receiver too well for an R/C. Also,look at how the number correction is dupeing some observers,that's a good one,it works when the humper realizes his # fonts aren't up to snuff. Try the shell game to take the beholder's eye off the chicanery....either that or somebody took the bolt to a different location for a person to do the renumber and forgot the number they needed,heh.I'm sorry,that one's just too obvious guys.BTW,catch a pic of the proofs on the bolt components if possible.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a correction like this?
Yes, corrections happen. I have a byf 41 luger with an extractor that looks as though it was originally stamped “68” and then corrected to “58”. The first digit is stamped deeper than the second digit. The font is smaller and it's not as noticeable because the “5” over stamps the “6” nicely. I know it’s an original all matching vbb because my father captured it.

·
Copper Bullet member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, it is a single rune, and like I said, had it since 1975---don"t know when RC's started being imported, but it had to be after the wall fell in 1989 and cold war ended. Wow, now I'm feeling old!!
I'll strip the bolt and get some proof pics up.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I think the sight hood is for a G33/40.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'd say the bolt is a replacement. I've never seen a single rune that did not have either a Radom or Steyr bolt in it - that is neither. Also notice that both the bolt & safety are renumbered. Is there a standard Beschutz on back of the bolt flat?
What WaA is on all of the bolt parts? Also on the bolt stop. How is the stock marked, outside, in bbl chanel & under butt plate? Butt plate marked? What about the bbl bands & lock bar? Is there an eagle 77 on right side of receiver?
Sarge

·
Copper Bullet member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There Are No Waa On Any Bolt Parts, Found 2 Eagle Stamps On Stock Between Tg And Butt, Took Off But Plate-- No Marks On Plate Or Wood, {butt Plate Coated In A Redish Rust Stopper?} Handguard Is Numbered As Is Sight Base And Ladder, No Waa77 Anywere, Front Bands Not Marked, Trigger Guard And Locking Screws Are Untouched And I'm Leaving Em That Way. Took Off Sight Hood And Posting A Better Pic Of It. And ---thanks For All Input!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts