Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very Nice. Very nice wood and the electrostencil work is crisp. To protect the finish the sling should be attached so the hooked ends are away from the rifle with the flattest side of the rivets to the wood. That is the correct attachment method and saves the wood being marred. How do you enjoy the kick? I have a 45 and a 46 and really enjoy shooting them.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very Nice. Very nice wood and the electrostencil work is crisp. To protect the finish the sling should be attached so the hooked ends are away from the rifle with the flattest side of the rivets to the wood. That is the correct attachment method and saves the wood being marred. How do you enjoy the kick? I have a 45 and a 46 and really enjoy shooting them.
Never shot it yet. The pictures were of the previous owner. The sling is the other way.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very cool. They are fun to shoot. I am a big wuss so I always wear a PAST shoulder pad so that makes for an enjoyable experience at the range. AT least I can still use my arm afterwards LOL Definitely makes for a different Enfield experience. Enjoy…..

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
29,043 Posts
Nahhh.....
It just seems that way through a No. 5!

Wear a white tee shirt, and hold it like your first girl friend, and you'll be fine.

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,537 Posts
Never seen one that nice down here. Looks like it came out of Faz yesterday!

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Very cool. They are fun to shoot. I am a big wuss so I always wear a PAST shoulder pad so that makes for an enjoyable experience at the range. AT least I can still use my arm afterwards LOL Definitely makes for a different Enfield experience. Enjoy…..
Yep, if you shoot the #5MK1 a lot, it is advisable to use a velcro buttpad, or a folded towel over the shoulder.

The macho B.S. doesn't hack it when you get older and the problem start to show up and the medical bills start to rack up.

Also, recoil from any gun can cause retinal detachment in your eye. I have been warned by my Dr. several times not to shoot without adequate protection from recoil. The is a short time frame to fix a retinal detachment or blindness follow quickly.

I use a quicky attachable buttpad AND a towel.

I have found that shooting the hand loaded .32 cal. bullets with the lighter loads are real nice for kids and ladies when shooting the #5MK1.

The load info is on the forum somewhere.

It tends to make fans of these nice carbines, instead of turning them off because of the recoil.

Only time I don't use buttpads is when coyote hunting. But I make sure the gun is properly shouldered before firing.

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,537 Posts
Yep, if you shoot the #5MK1 a lot, it is advisable to use a velcro buttpad, or a folded towel over the shoulder.

The macho B.S. doesn't hack it when you get older and the problem start to show up and the medical bills start to rack up.

Also, recoil from any gun can cause retinal detachment in your eye. I have been warned by my Dr. several times not to shoot without adequate protection from recoil. The is a short time frame to fix a retinal detachment or blindness follow quickly.

I use a quicky attachable buttpad AND a towel.

I have found that shooting the hand loaded .32 cal. bullets with the lighter loads are real nice for kids and ladies when shooting the #5MK1.

The load info is on the forum somewhere.

It tends to make fans of these nice carbines, instead of turning them off because of the recoil.

Only time I don't use buttpads is when coyote hunting. But I make sure the gun is properly shouldered before firing.
I always thought the No5 was ok for recoil. However, I think I came up with a detached retina from shooting hot loads in my 1895 Marlin 45-70, which did not have any sort of recoil pad. On a bright note: after surgery, and subsequent cataracts, and subsequent lense replacement, I no longer need glasses.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow that must be some heavy recoil. I have never heard of a detached retina from shooting. I guess its a first for me. My wife had the eye surgery and it was not good, it took a few weeks to heal. As far as recoil goes with these carbines, how do they stack up? I have a 300wm and would say heavy for it. I don't feel the 303 is that bad but have never fired the jungle carbine. Do the carbines have that much felt recoil over the rifle? I am very interested as I am really wanting one for my collection.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
As far as carbines go the #5MK1 is right up there in recoil.

Russian M44s and M38s are stout also.

One of the reason I believe the #5MK1 recoil is felt to be hard, is the buttplate design and the weight. These have been lightened considerably.
A heavy rifle has less perceived recoil.

Some 8mm carbines are light weight also and have serious recoil.

The retinal detachment is not a threat for all shooters, some shooters are more prone to have the problem due to other illnesses, ie diabetes.

#5MK1 are a hoot to shoot, but if the recoil is spoiling the fun or causing a flinch factor, then it may a good idea to take measures to reduce the recoil.
Sore shoulder is not fun and decades on down the road it will show up.

But the young never think about the down the road thing.

·
Registered
633 Posts
To lessen the recoil I reload all my ammo fairly light. I use 150 gn bullets with about 38 gn IMR 4320. Anythin like that and it is quite light. For putting holes in paper it is all you need and it's easy on the brass.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
It has been a couple of years since I last fired my No.5 and whenever I have fired it, I used regular Mk.VII ball. I keep my reloadable stuff for my No.4 Mk.1(T).

Yes, it does smack you a bit with the military load, but as long as you are sure to have the butt tight against your shoulder, it should be manageable.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
I have a mint shirley model that i love, nice rifle , have you got to shoot her in low light yet , the flash is immense with a huge flame , i tried to catch it on cam but wasnt dark enough yet last time we went to range and driving home after dark is deer collision city lol. , i did light the entire farm up lol i hunt on at near dark shooting a yote hitting my deer liver baits. That was awesome lol. Flipped that dog over about 3 times before it came to a still. 175 grain sp, kinda ruined the pelt but was sure awesome to see that huge flame bust out that cone.

·
Registered
413 Posts
With the PAST Recoil shoulder pad I get very little discomfort. I looked at the slip on butt protectors but as I usually take several of the Enfield sisters out on my date at the range I figured a strap on pad would be the best bet. Works very well. My No5s both seem to have the same amount of recoil. Have not experienced the retina issues thank goodness but I have learned not to rest my cheek on the butt. Darn night broke my jawbone. How those snipers do it I don't know. If I thought the No5 had a kick when I bought a Steyr 95/30 carbine that really jarred me. That is brutal and the recoil coupled with the muzzle lift is quite something. I had an ATI stock fitted to a 2A1 and that hollow stock resonated so bad that it felt like I had been punched in the ear. It rang for about 2 days. If I ever put that back on I will stuff the cavity with expanding foam. At the range we have to cease shooting at dusk so I have never seen the flame but I bet it is impressive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.