Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I have had this one for only 3 hrs and it needs some grease removed. I checked in Don's book and I'm puzzled. It looks like the Kana might have been missed??

This one is out from the closet.... air rust, greasy metal, but a matched rig to include the cover and bolt. It's matched by SN and has a 4 digit SN and screws still looked staked. Monopod band is the "b-type". Damn, I love this one.

Mum is ground. Also, I noticed a small Japanese character (inspector mark?) on the RS of the barrel near the receiver. No idea of it's significance, if any...

Looking for an assist/thoughts on this one...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Man you come up with some nice stuff...great rifle! Is there any trace of concentric circles where the mum usually is? Jon

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I think Jon has it pegged. likely a ground C.C. rifle. jerry Price had one a few years ago. You could just make out the circles.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Great find

Bob,
It is ground pretty hard, but put up a good picture of the ground area-
I think it is a CC rifle too, 1390 would be a Kokura serial for a CC rifle. Check the lists of CC serial numbers in the T99 book.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Lets seee the ground area. I have Kokura CC #145 stashed away someplace in my safe.Check stock, back side of rear sight and bolt handle flat for second class stamp. That stamp looks like the number 11 in a circle. If it has that stamp its without a doubt a CC rifle.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Some of us on the 98k forum think it is more likely that he sold his soul to the devil....:eek:....he sure does find some great stuff!
I actually think that this is why he has alot of nice stuff to, nice mausers, nice arisakas, great luck. Yep, he sold his soul to the devil. Maybe he is a good luck charm, he should go with me to the next ohio show, so I can find an all matching type 99 sniper with a mum.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello Bob in the Ohio :
I too thin jon has it pegged as double circle. If it was a 20th series and it failed to get series stamped if would have had the " M " rear barrel band and the reciol bolt would have had the nut on the right side. The pictures on this show the more common recoil nut on the left side.
I have a 28th series Nagoya T-38 rifle that had a " Lazy M " instead of a mum and it too was ground, fortunately you could see the bottom legs of the M and the grind was small. At some point in time all rifles surrendered were ground, not so much to remove the mum and therefore ownership of the Emperor as much as for accountability.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...very interesting. The more I know, the more I need to know. Just read Don's chapter on CC rifles and it certainly fits.

Great book Don.

Will try to get a grind pic tomorrow. I guess a CC rifle is less common than a straight-up military T99? It's going into my collection, but do wonder about value?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Bob,
See my post on the second class stamp marks. Let us know what you find. Its on page 1

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,175 Posts
That is very nice, although the pod looks like a Nagoya to me.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More pics...

Here are some more pics.

Ed- No obvious second class marks in the wood. What's the extra character on the rec'vr/barrel shown in the first pic set.

Ray- I upload pics to a server and then use html language to get the pic to show up.

Bill- Thx, I do like my K98s. Regarding the "Devil", we have never talked on the phone, but I have gotten some email in my spam folder.

Josh- My bride doesn't really like my collecting. You know, "They all look alike, Bob!" While she did think I was nuts a few years ago, she now realizes I might even break even, or make a few bucks, if I ever sell. When you collect long enough, you do occasionally find some beauties. I have also bought a few turds, but not more than two...

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Bob,
Check the rear flat of the bolt handle NOT the flat with the numbers. Its the flat that would face you if the dust cover was off. What do the stock proofs look like?

Ed

·
Silver Bullet member
15,637 Posts
Probably!

Adogs is correct though, that pod feet do have the Nagoya curve; though it could have been changed or added. Have a look at it for Nag proof on the wire between the loops at the front end.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here are some more pics.

...- I upload pics to a server and then use html language to get the pic to show up.
Bob, might be better to use this forum's server, instead of using John's server for gunboards postings....

ed

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Bob,
Without a second class stamp I doubt its a CC rifle. Like I said I have kokura CC rifle #145 and its loaded with second class stamps even on the stock. I haven't tried to post pix yet I may do so soon. Rod (adog) has a 20th series that has the same mark on the barrel shank as your rifle.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts