Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my experience, really nice police swords are hard to find. Most look like they were carried, for more than one generation. This one, is the exception. Only one I have seen, with a backstrap decorated in this way. Blade is handforged, but the tang markings, look like chicken scratch. I wasn't even sure which way to orient the tang, so I'm showing both. Edokko, Chip? Help!!! So much for orientation.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
Hmmm, they do indeed look like chicken scratch from my vantage point too. It does not look particluarly Kanji, except it may be a line of crudely marked Kanji numerals, but perhaps it may be some type of arsenal swordsmith's special symbols. Let's see the blade.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
That is an extremely strange & non typical "police" sword! Never seen one like it. The back strap design looks hand chased/engraved. Hope it's not a Chinese fantasy sword. Knot looks period Japanese.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is very unusual, but not a fake. The hilt, is the #3 style. Jim Dawson shows other police swords, with non "issue" style embellishments. The knot, is an original Kyu Gunto, that I put on. I don't like a nekkid sword. Here are some bad shots of the blade, and other side of the tang. Temperline is hard to see anyway.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
Just from the photos, but the blade looks ok to me. The original peg hole looks old enough. The chicken scratches may be symbols that the arsenal sword makers used to ID them when they were being assembled. Not sure though.

I have seen kyuguntos that had super nice old blades that has been "rat-tail" modified at the nakago. Makes one want to just sit there and cry. Couldn't for the life of me think anyone back in those days would knowingly damage a nice mei katana like that, just to make it fit into the fittings ....

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me to Tak. All they had to do, was go to a longer handle. But, it's human nature, to take the old, and "modify" it to make it new. Even Paleo Indians, would dig the old Clovis, and Folsum sites, for points. They could take a 10" Clovis point, break in into three pieces, and re-knap it into their current style points. Kinda like making a sporter out a military rifle, or a knife out of a sword or bayonet.:cry:

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
Yep, it always happened through the ages....Many a beautiful long koto tachis with great smith names were cut down and tuned into an osurage mumei katana just so one samurai could wear it on his side.... back about 400 years ago. I like the way you describe it though, a "sporterized tachi" !

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Heh heh,"Bubba-san"? I stand corrected,I did a search and found a few that were turned down for kui-gunto era use. Out with the old,in with the new.... nice Civil War era US swords were turned into fighting knives at the San Antonio arsenal in WW2 BTW....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.