Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Don't you touch that nasty thing!"

Those words still ring in my head after all these years. Those words uttered in my childhood by my grandmother. Usually the "nasty thing" was a slug, frog, mushroom, worm, bug, or some other disgusting part of creation. As a kid, I was always picking things up. As as quasi-adult (of 37 years) I'm still picking things up. Take my latest buy; a 1918 M1891. I got this after being outbid on a Dutch M95. I bought it on a buy it now on Gunbroker. As soon as I got it home and had a good look at her, I heard those words ring in my ears from so long ago. Basically this rifle was caked with dried grease. You can still see some of it in the pictures. It is indeed a good thing that I find cleaning guns soothing, for this one was "a nasty thing". The bore was plugged with dried grease and the bolt would barely open. The stock was soaked in the stuff. Some mineral spirits and some scrubbing brought out the wood grain. Some BLO and time gave it a nice(r) look. Normally I leave things as is and don't go the BLO route but this was beyond nasty. To my surprise the overall patina of the rifle matches the bayonet, and the whole set up looks old. Which is good as I like old guns....

"Well I'll declare, that sure is purdy.."

I often (ok sometimes) heard that one too. Funny I think I'd hear it again if she were around to say it...

Enjoy the pictures and comments welcome!

Any ideas on the mark above the screw?

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,803 Posts
Proceed with caution! These breed like wabbits in closets & gun safes!!! You will open a door someday, and there won't be room for another! ;) You have a genuine combat vet - good grab! SW

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dragoons my friend you speak the truth! In a little over a year my collection contains:
5x Mosin Nagants
4x Mausers (Various Countries)
3X Carcani (+1 I pick up next week; a 1938 Fucile Corto already in the collection are two Moschetto TSs and the Fucile)
1X Arisaka
1X Enfield

Thanks for the kind words to you both.

By far the Carcani are my favorites and this one in particular!

·
Administrator
9,622 Posts
Mark above Bayo band screw

"AA" in stylised format, Trade mark of Parts maker. Can't ID it yet to specific firm. Mark also found on other parts ( safety catch, Bolts, etc

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kingleo,

I notice your bolt is serialized and am wondering if the bolt is one of the early split lug extractor type bolts.
It isn't, that part excited me from the auction photos. I was somewhat disappointed when I got it, but overall I'm happy with the rifle after clean up, but as you can tell there still is some grease hardened in spots. I have one more on layaway that I'll pick up on Thursday. I will pick up more ammo then and hopefully take all the Carcani to the range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts